Sunday, November 06, 2005

Three is a Magic Number

There are many, many creative people writing blogs, but I'm not one of them. At least right now. My mind, it is like unto a veritable desert. I have no fun ways to describe my weekend, or juicy stories from my past, or incisive analyses of anything political or philosophical or literary.

Fortunately! Kate has tagged me with a meme. I know there are 2 or 3 old ones I owe people, too. Okay! Memes! Fun! Easy! And you don't have to be creative! Let's go!

Three screen names I've used: 1) elswhere, 2) anonymous, 3)...hey, this was supposed to be easy, but already it's stumping me! elswhere and anonymous are the only screen names I've used. Except for my real name. Okay: 3) my real name.

Three things you like about yourself: Um. Huh. Well, I'm...hmm. Oh! Smart! I'm smart! And, I like that I'm a lesbian. I think it's kind of cool. And I'm pretty good with kids. Except when I'm not.

Three things you don't like about yourself: Laziness. Impatience. And I have trouble finishing things I start. But isn't that related to the first two?

And indecisiveness!

Three parts of your heritage: Eastern European Ashkenazi Jewish all the way, baby.

Three things that scare you: Tsunamis, cancer, and the dark corner near the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Three of your everyday essentials: Text, granola, and...God, I don't know. Food? Chocolate? Though I don't have to have that every day, necessarily.

Hey, I have a story about chocolate! When I first moved to Seattle, I was dead broke for about a year. I bought the very cheapest food, like carrots and cabbage and dry beans and rice. Then I got a job as a childcare teacher, which as you probably know is about the lowest-paying job a person can get. But since I was coming from occasional temporary work, even that small regular income looked pretty good. So I decided that to celebrate my newfound prosperity, once I started getting a paycheck I would BUY A PIECE OF CHOCOLATE EVERY DAY. And I did, for a couple of years. There was a newspaper store near my apartment where you could buy these little 5-cent chocolate squares, so that's what I got most of the time, and felt very self-indulgent in a frugal and noble way.

I had a friend who had a 5-year old (he's almost 20 now! Ack!) and one day he was complaining about being a kid and how it meant you couldn't do the things you want, like eat candy. And I said, "Hey, M, guess what? When you're a grownup, you can eat chocolate EVERY DAY!" His jaw pretty much dropped. I felt kind of bad, like I was rubbing it in his face. On the other hand, it gave him something to look forward to.

Okay. Moving right along.

Three things you are wearing right now: OldVintage Dykes To Watch Out For T-shirt, black sweats, glasses.

Three of your favorite songs: I have a couple thousand favorite songs. Right now I'm really liking: "I Wish I Could Go Back to College," from the Avenue Q soundtrack; "Minivan Mom," by The Kegels, a punk-rock-moms duo RW went to see a couple weeks ago; and "Joy" by Lucinda Williams, from her new-ish live album.

Three things you want in a relationship: Uh, Pina Coladas? Getting caught in the rain?
Okay: Someone who'll laugh at my jokes, or at least get them. Someone who can remind me to breathe when I'm freaking out. And, well, my parents read this blog so that's enough.

Two truths and a lie: I've never read Moby Dick. I've never read The Scarlet Letter. I've never read Treasure Island.

Three things you can't live without: Text. Chocolate. Long conversations with friends where you end up laughing so much you can't breathe.

Three places you want to go on vacation: Venice, the Big Island of Hawaii, and Mexico.

Three things you just can't do:Roll my tongue, see those Eye Spy pictures no matter how much I stare at them crosseyed, and Turn off the computer (RW just suggested that last one).

Three kids names: But, wouldn't these just be people's names? Because all people were kids once.

Okay. Fine, probably it means contemporary kids names that I like. Hallie, Sadie, Claire.

Three things you want to do before you die: Write a book, see Venice (I already put that under vacations but I really want to see Venice), see MG grow up.

Three celeb crushes: Susan Sarandon, that woman who plays Brenda on Six Feet Under, and...God, I don't know. Can I count Susan Sarandon twice? The Rocky-Horror era one and the contemporary one? Because she's just been hot her whole adult life as far as I can tell.

Three of your favorite musicians: Varies depending on mood, but just based on a quick survey of the CD rack: Joni Mitchell, Carmaig DeForest, Joan Armatrading.

Three physical things about the opposite sex that appeals to you: Huh. Can I do the same sex? Let's rewrite this as "Three physical things about your favored sex that appeals to you."
Wait, that would be "That appeal to you," because it's plural, right?

Um. Shoot. My parents read this blog. Forget it.

Three of your favorite hobbies: Procrastinating, cooking, reading.

Three things you really want to do badly right now: Sleep, skip work, eat raw oysters (it's oyster season!)

Three careers you're considering/you've considered:Journalist (but I don't have the time sense for it), activist (but I hate conflict), and when I was a kid I used to want to be a rabbi.

Three ways that you are stereotypically a boy: Lazy about housework, don't care about clothes, have short hair.

Three ways that you are stereotypically a girl: Don't understand cars, like to cook, played with dolls as a kid.

Three people that I would like to see post this meme: Everyone else in the blogosphere has already done this meme. I was the last one. But, if you haven't...you!

Will I be surprised if they ignore this: no

8 Comments:

Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Ha! The Kegels. That's the best band name ever. And healthful, too! Clench! Clench! Clench!

9:51 AM  
Blogger mc said...

Rachel Griffiths. That's the woman who plays Bren in Six Feet under. I know, because I have a crush on her too.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kegels so totally rock. They are the best MommyPunk band on the planet. Check out .

My fave song on their new CD, "Totally Effaced," is "It's All My Fault!"

9:05 PM  
Blogger Minoa said...

I have done parts of this meme already, but I'm going to take a page out of your book and edit it for my preferences ;)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Lioness said...

You fancy Brenda?? I find her so bland! Susan Sarandon now, well, I could envision a brief lesbotronic moment there, I almost could. She IS hot and I hope I look half as good when I reach her age.

I haven't done this but neither have i done the million memes I've been tagged with. But guess what, after a trulye gruesome week I'll go out and buy A BOOK! So no time for blogging. Sad.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Udge said...

Definitely agree with you on Susan Sarandon.

I guess that "never read Moby Dick" is the lie, I can't imagine you not accepting a challenge like that :-)

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moby Dick! It was awful! I read it in h.s. English & sat behind a boy who smelled bad, and when I think of the book I think of how he smelled. So for a completely idiosyncratic reason, I hope that's the lie. Let's go to Mexico, Hawaii or Venice one day. Wouldn't that be spectacular? But let's not take anything by Herman Melville or anything that stinks.

--Angela

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your site, but I have a huge crush on Susan Sarandon too! Pretty hot.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home