Monday, October 11, 2004

Maybe we should have named her Madison

Perhaps subconsciously inspired by this event, I dreamed last night that Mir, Anna, and I all got together to hang out, along with our children. I think we went to the park.

In reality--especially since we live in three different corners of the country--this will probably never happen. But you two might like to know that we all had a fine time. The kids got along, too, as well as I can recall.

At the end of the day, as we were getting into our separate cars to go home, I realized that for the entire afternoon we'd been calling the children by their blog aliases, and I still didn't know their real names.

I woke up wondering if I should be calling my own kid by an alias. I always figured her name is so common that it's unlikely anyone unwanted would happen upon this site by searching for it, but on a whim I asked her if she wanted a nickname on my blog. and (surprise, surprise) she does.

So, be it now proclaimed that my offspring hereafter shall be known on this website as...[drumroll, please]

Mermaid Girl.

Not what I would've picked, but hey, I can see it has a certain something.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

woo! I feel honored! (: And hey, we may not always live so far apart...we're (if there is any mercy in this world) hoping to move to the Pacific Northwest sometime in the future. (You are in that area, right? I hope I'm remembering this correctly.)

As for the aliasing, I do it because I'm paranoid about my father Googling our names together and finding the blog. It doesn't help that TLM's name is not very common: it's gee eye bee ess oh enn, or gee eye bee bee why for short. Our last name(s: I use 2, hyphenated) is also quite unique. I keep _wanting_ to write his real name but am too skittish to do so. It's funny...I think of some of my online friends by their screen names, but not others; Jo is always CL to me, short for Cheerleader. But Carrie is Carrie. *shrug* go figure.

"Mermaid Girl" is very funny, and seems quite appropriate. Guess you should be happy it's not "Barbie."

6:52 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Are you really thinking of moving?? Yes, I'm in Seattle. Please let me know if you want any info on our green and gray part of the world. We could go to the park for real, maybe ;-)

I hope I didn't seem to be fishing for kids' real names in the above-- I really wasn't. It was just this weird part of my dream. TLM's name is great, though. But it is unusual. I can see why you don't want to use it in your blog, just in case.

11:10 PM  
Blogger jilbur said...

I have actually hung out with Mir on one lovely, memorable occasion (which she blogged beautifully in great detail mid-August), and I can vouch for the fact that you couldn't have chosen a more lovely, fun blogger to dream about.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

_Thinking_ of moving? Try fantasizing on a daily basis. (Sadly, I'm not exaggerating.) I loathe it here. I've only actually been to Seattle once, for less than a day, on business, but we think the Northwest in general is up our alley. Unfortunately it will be years before we can move, due to credit/finances and not leastly, changed job situations. However, if we get our wish, a park hangout is in our future. (: When (if) the move gets closer, I'll probably pump you for info on good towns/schools and such. Just warning you.

re: names...it's nice to finally be _able_ to mention it! I've been wanting to for so long.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home