Thursday, March 10, 2005

Mermaid Girl on Race and Sex

1. Driving home from preschool today:

Me: I don't know what I would do without you. I would be bored.
MG: What did you do before I was born?
Me: Oh... I dunno. A lot of stuff. Maybe I was bored and didn't know it. But I think it took me a while to be grown up enough to take care of a kid.
MG: And then you married Mama, and then you had me! Your own darling! [She really talks like this. I kid you not.]
Me: Um...Yep!
MG: And the first thing you saw of me was my little foot!
Me: That's right, they pulled your foot right out. [She was breech. RW had a c-section. Long story, I'll tell it sometime.]
MG: Before that, you didn't know what I would look like.
Me: Well, we knew a little. We saw you in the ultrasounds. We knew you had the same pointy chin as Mama.
MG: But you didn't know what color my skin would be!
Me: Well... we didn't know exactly, but we knew you'd probably have light-colored skin, because Mama and Uncle Skaterboy both do.
MG: But Lila [kid at her preschool] has brown-colored skin, and her mom has light-colored skin like Mama.
Me: That's true. Lila's dad probably has brown skin. Or else it could be that she's adopted, and her birth mom and dad, or one of them, has brown skin.
MG [very "so there, underwear"]: But you didn't know. I could have had brown skin.

2. Tonight, looking at a photograph of Uncle Skaterboy:

MG: I love Uncle Skaterboy! I love him so much! I love him more than any other boy.
Me: More than your friends at preschool?
MG: I don't like the boys at preschool so much.
Me: Not even Evan?
MG: I don't like Evan any more. He chases the girls around.
RW and me, surprised and amused: Really? Chases them? Why? etc.
MG: He thinks he is Callie's boyfriend. But he is not her boyfriend. *sigh* She's tired of him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

Oy! She's adorable!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home