Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Everyone's Our Friend

In New York City
Everything looks beautiful
When we're young and pretty
The streets are paved with diamonds
And there's just so much to see
But the best thing about New York City is
You and me
[DUM da DUM, DA da da da DUM...]


Brief instrumental while I explain: We're going to New York City over Passover, just me and Mermaid Girl! For almost a week! Thanks to my dad, who is flying us out!

It's in a month and a half, but I really have to get my butt in gear and start planning, because I promised the Girl we'd go to as many of the places mentioned in this song as possible--oh, here comes the bridge, gotta sing along:

Statue of Liberty
Staten Island Ferry
Co-op City [might skip this one, at least on this trip]
Katz's, and
Tiffany's
Central Park [Absolutely! The Zoo, for sure. And maybe the Alice statue]
Brooklyn Bridge
The Empire State where Dylan lived
Coney Island [might not make it to this one either] and
Times Square
Rockefeller Center,
wish I was there.


And how I do wish I was there. But I will be!

We have to hit the Plaza, too, before it closes forever. And a couple of seders. And a few playgrounds in Queens. And it wouldn't be a New York visit without a trip to the Hungarian Pastry Shop, Passover or no Passover. And some decent cold sesame noodles. And a cannoli or two.

Plus, my oldest friend and I are going to go watch muppets having sex while relatives take our kids for the evening!

MG and I will be two busy, busy--and well-fed--tourists. Whee!

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I knew about CBGB's (Bad Mama spent many a lovely night there getting elbowed in the head while listening to Kim Deal), but the Plaza? I used to meet my now-husband in front of it on his lunch break from Hadassah, and we would talk about when we'd be able to afford to stay there. I know things change, but damn.

We're going to NYC in September for a wedding. I am very jealous of you and MG , getting to go sooner. It sounds like a great time.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

You got a pretty ambitious lineup there, girly! Sounds wonderful.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there...

I continue to insist that, after TMBG changed the lyrics, "The Empire State/ Where Dylan lived" should be parsed as two lines, and therefore as two destinations.

Bob Dylan's first New York apartment was at 161 West (Positively) 4th Street. He also lived for a while at the Hotel Earle (now the Washington Square Hotel) at 163 Waverly Place, crashed for a spell at One Sheridan Square, and later bought a townhouse at 94 Macdougal Street:
http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/villagesights.htm

I think that visiting any one of these locations would count as visiting "where Dylan lived," plus it would give you another reason to go to the Village, which seems to be otherwise missing from your itinerary.

Have a terrific trip!

--DBTE

7:28 PM  
Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Oh man! I wish I could go too! Take lots of pictures.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home