Thursday, March 03, 2005

In the Middle of My Monthly Book-Review All-Nighter

Words I am never allowed to use again in book reviews:

  • Compelling
  • Appealing
  • Warm (to describe illustrations)
  • Vivid
  • Quiet
  • Fluid
  • Rich
  • Skillful
  • Deft
  • Believable

Bleah! The words flow like molasses. At least I'm pretty sure I've never called anything "luminous." Such a lovely word! But what does it mean?

What I really want to say:

Book #1: Picture book about a boy who’s scared to go to kindergarten. Cute. Mermaid Girl liked it.

Book #2: Gorgeous writing, good for immigrant curriculum, I loved it but I have a feeling it’ll be a tough sell to kids.

Book #3: A little slow at first but it picks up, and then it’s shocking and riveting. But what’s with the sort-of sex scene in the middle? Wasn’t integral to the plot, and bumps it right up to Middle School for any librarian with a sense of self-preservation. Also it’s a little rambly. And I know of such things.

Book #4: Biography of ancient-historical figure. It’s fine. Just fine. Nice and short, with everything you could want in a kids’ biography. What else is there to say, really?

You know what's cool, though? Blogging has helped me learn to write better, faster reviews. So I'll probably only be up until 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home