Wednesday, September 15, 2004

In which I go all meta

Hi. Sorry to disappear for a couple of days. I wasn't just being coy, honest-- I had an evening work thing last night and then actually came home and went to sleep! without cruising the web for hours and hours! I can see that if this bloglife is going to be part of my regular life there are going to have to be some Rules. Some Boundaries. As they keep saying is good for kids. Apparently it's good for me too, especially if I don't want to be found one day staring bugeyed and slack-jawed at the computer, surrounded by piles of dirty dishes [if I even remember to eat], having long since lost my job, my spouse and child oblivious because they're used to me disappearing into the blogosphere for days at a time. "Oh," RW will say when they interview her at the inquest, "It's true, she hadn't moved or spoken for a while, but she's always like that when she's blogging. I thought she was just reading a really long post."

But it's so much fun! There's so much good writing! I'm making friends! And it's writing, you know, I'm writing, that's a good thing, right? And, anyway, [grasping at the wispiest of straws,] it's sort of professional reading, I mean I do glance at a library site every once in a while...oh, wait, this one looks really good, I have to look at this one. Oh, and I've seen this person comment on other blogs! No, wait just a minute, I'll be there soon, I want to see what her site's like. Hee, this is really funny! I'll read you this one post.

Etc.

Right. So. In honor of the Jewish New Year, I hereby make a few resolutions. I'm posting them here because, well, as I think I've mentioned, I actually have no self-discipline and this way I'll be embarrassed into keeping them. Because other people, at least those with site meters, will know.
  1. No blogging or checking blogs during work hours. That's 8 AM-4PM Pacific time. If I get in early I can browse around a little till 8.
  2. No blogging or surfing between dinner and Sarah's bedtime.
  3. No blogging after that till I at least do some dishes.
  4. No computer use on Friday night.
  5. Lights out by 1 AM. Midnight would be better, but say 1 if I actually have something to write.
Okay. I think I should be able to do all that for at least a week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wireless internet has just about done me in. My laptop, that used to be my Work Computer is just like the kids' computer -- online 24/7. Ack!

I'm cackling at the picture of a slack-jawed woman surrounded by dirty dishes but really. . Addiction is not a pretty sight.
Kate http://mkate.bravejournal.com

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and it's another contest at my blog. FIFTY FIVE WORDS! that's it. Your family will barely miss you for that length of time.

kate again

4:36 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

OK Kate-- you're on! And I've even been trying to read those Aubrey/Maturwhatever books, that should tie in with the theme somehow. Pirates, sea captains... it's all water, right?

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home