Monday, January 01, 2007

Phooey!

Let that be my first blogged word of 2007: Phooey! Because my computer just froze up and I lost my post, the one I spent over an hour writing, a beautiful (if I do say so myself), lovingly detailed post about the week Mermaid Girl and I just spent in New York, with special attention lavished on our evening out on the town during which MG haggled with some pedicab drivers and got us a ride from Rockefeller Center to Times Square for $6, which was the best $6 I ever spent (actually I didn't spend it, she did), and the most harrowing, thrilling ride I've ever been on.

Afterwards I forgot how terrified I was that we'd be in a terrible car accident (what with the bumping over potholes and swerving in and out of lanes and through red lights etc.) and told MG that night around midnight when we were finally tucked in to bed that it was my favorite part of the day, and she was surprised because for most of the evening I'd maintained firmly that we were ABSOLUTELY NOT going on a bicycle cab ride, not when I'd just taken her out for tea at Alice's Tea Cup and for a carriage ride through Central Park and then down to Rockefeller Center to look at the tree and the skaters and then let her buy a whirly light-up thing and wave it around among the crowds.

But I'd forgotten all about that, that it was something she'd whined and nagged for and we only had that whirlwind ride through the middle of the city with the wind in our hair and cars and bright lights flashing all around us because I finally caved and said okay, okay, if she could find someone to take us for the money she had, we could do it.

All I remembered was the ride, and the way MG's eyes lit up as she took it all in, the lights reflected on her face.

If only all my parenting goofs turn out that well, we'll have a pretty good year this year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Happy New Year and Wow, you win parent of the year award. It's barely the new year so you're going to have to keep the good work.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a great goof! the city can be so magical, and I bet it was wondrous to see it through her eyes. Happy new year!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Tez said...

The pedicab community thanks you!

And I, as a mother and grandmother, thank you too.

We manage a fleet of 20+ in Denver. My grandsons (2 & 4)love the pedicabs and always want a ride when we're downtown. Your description of MG's wonder and excitement made me smile as I remembered holding my oldest grandson on my lap while he squeeled Whee! and waved at the crowd passing by.

Thank you! I'll share your comments on my blog.

11:09 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Wow, Tez, I hadn't even thought about the pedicab community reading this post! It was a great ride!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Els - I have emailed you - where are you? Loved your Xmas card. Please email me back. Much love, Alice.

6:46 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Alice!! I kind of lost my old email acct and don't have your address. Try me at my new email? It's

elswhere [at] gmail d o t com.
[note the weird spelling of "elswhere"-- it's like my blog address. If you spell it the usual way, i.e. "elsewhere," it goes to a complete stranger who occasionally gets emails for me and tries to fwd them.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home