Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Old Fashioned

RW votes absentee, but I like to go in person; I'm an old-fashioned girl at heart, and still remember my mom taking me to vote at the local elementary school, crowding into the dark booth with her and pulling the curtains closed and watching her clack the levers.

Those curtained booths and levers are no more, apparently. At our polling station today, there was one brand-new electronic machine, and about a dozen of the usual carrel-like stands for filling out paper ballots with ball-point pens. There were over fifteen initiatives to vote on, and many local representatives, so it took a while to fill out the paper ballots. But everyone was lined up, waiting and waiting.

Only a few brave or foolhardy souls used the electronic machine. You could waltz right up to it any time you wanted.

I waited for a paper-ballot stand, shifting my feet and reading over the ballot. As I said, I'm an old-fashioned girl at heart, and apparently I'm not alone. Who knew we were all so retro, here in trendy lefty North Seattle?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we still have the old fashioned levers and curtains.

7:14 PM  
Blogger mark drago said...

in nyc still using the old-old too--geez I think I recognized the machine, same one I used in 1976.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home