In the first flush of romance with Renaissance Woman, eleven years ago this summer, I made her a mix tape to take to music camp with her. This was in the olden, olden days, before you could just download music to your computer and burn it onto a CD with the click of a button. It took days to put together; it was a labor of love, and she loved it, to my pride and gratification.
Some years later, it got stolen off our front porch. I hadn't made a backup copy, and by then I had a full-time job and didn't have days and days to sit around making mix tapes--the songs were from a huge variety of sources, including some CDs from the library--but I eventually found a draft of the list of songs in my room. I put it in (wait for it) a Special Place so I Wouldn't Lose It. And it went into the ether where everything goes that gets put in A Special Place So I Won't Lose It, and I never saw it again.
Until today. RW and I have both been engaged in the huge endeavor of cleaning and packing our rooms so that we can exchange office spaces, and I was digging through an old "To Be Filed" box, and there it was.
And here it is, or as close as I can reconstruct for (I hope--ptui, ptui, ptui) posterity:
Side 1: "A Little Mystery to Figure Out" [and it is a mystery--I only have an early draft of this side]
- Something to Talk about--Bonnie Raitt
- Almost Kiss--Ferron
- Love and Affection--Joan Armatrading
- Passionate Kisses--Mary Chapin-Carpenter
- Something Good (excerpt)--Julie Andrews, "Sound of Music" soundtrack
- Something So Right--Paul Simon
- Good Thing (Angels Running)--Patty Larkin
- Let's go Bonding--2 Nice Girls
- Like a Big Wheel--Whatsisname, folkie guy who did "My Name Joe"
- Things We Said Today--Beatles
- You're gonna Make me Lonesome When You Go--Shawn Colvin
- Dream a Little Dream of Me--The Mamas & the Papas
- Whatever's For Us--Joan Armatrading
- If I Were a Bell--"Guys and Dolls" Soundtrack
- Have a Good Time--Paul Simon
- Ice Cream--Sarah McLaughlin
- Watermelon Song--Poi Dog Pondering
- I get a Kick out of You--Louis Armstrong
- In France they Kiss on Main Street--Joni Mitchell
- I'm Easy--"Nashville" Soundtrack
- I'm Lucky--Joan Armatrading
- Atsababy! (Life is Great)--Tom-Tom Club
- Magic Penny--Rosalie Sorrells
- Like a Rose--Lucinda Williams