Sunday, August 13, 2006

Eureka!

Remember mix tapes?

In the first flush of romance with Renaissance Woman, eleven years ago this summer, I made her a mix tape to take to music camp with her. This was in the olden, olden days, before you could just download music to your computer and burn it onto a CD with the click of a button. It took days to put together; it was a labor of love, and she loved it, to my pride and gratification.

Some years later, it got stolen off our front porch. I hadn't made a backup copy, and by then I had a full-time job and didn't have days and days to sit around making mix tapes--the songs were from a huge variety of sources, including some CDs from the library--but I eventually found a draft of the list of songs in my room. I put it in (wait for it) a Special Place so I Wouldn't Lose It. And it went into the ether where everything goes that gets put in A Special Place So I Won't Lose It, and I never saw it again.

Until today. RW and I have both been engaged in the huge endeavor of cleaning and packing our rooms so that we can exchange office spaces, and I was digging through an old "To Be Filed" box, and there it was.

And here it is, or as close as I can reconstruct for (I hope--ptui, ptui, ptui) posterity:

Side 1: "A Little Mystery to Figure Out" [and it is a mystery--I only have an early draft of this side]
  1. Something to Talk about--Bonnie Raitt
  2. Almost Kiss--Ferron
  3. Love and Affection--Joan Armatrading
  4. Passionate Kisses--Mary Chapin-Carpenter
  5. Something Good (excerpt)--Julie Andrews, "Sound of Music" soundtrack
  6. Something So Right--Paul Simon
  7. Good Thing (Angels Running)--Patty Larkin
  8. Let's go Bonding--2 Nice Girls
  9. Like a Big Wheel--Whatsisname, folkie guy who did "My Name Joe"
  10. Things We Said Today--Beatles
  11. You're gonna Make me Lonesome When You Go--Shawn Colvin
  12. Dream a Little Dream of Me--The Mamas & the Papas
  13. Whatever's For Us--Joan Armatrading
Side 2: "Like a Rose" [this side I'm more sure of]
  1. If I Were a Bell--"Guys and Dolls" Soundtrack
  2. Aftershock--BETTY
  3. Have a Good Time--Paul Simon
  4. Bellybowl--Ferron
  5. Ice Cream--Sarah McLaughlin
  6. Watermelon Song--Poi Dog Pondering
  7. I get a Kick out of You--Louis Armstrong
  8. In France they Kiss on Main Street--Joni Mitchell
  9. I'm Easy--"Nashville" Soundtrack
  10. I'm Lucky--Joan Armatrading
  11. Atsababy! (Life is Great)--Tom-Tom Club
  12. Magic Penny--Rosalie Sorrells
  13. Like a Rose--Lucinda Williams
One day I'll put it all on a CD. But at least we can play it in our heads now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well those songs are a blast from my past! How cool to find!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a tape My Beloved made for me when we first got together too. Ah, those wonderful, halycon days of a beginning romance!

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff! So I am on a Quest to find out now what the Young People Today are calling mix tapes. I know they still make them! Are they "mix CDs"? or ipodloveya's? or what??

9:18 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Oh, no, That Girl, that sucks!

I tried to post a post last night but the net went down just at the wrong time. I'll try again now!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home