Monday, August 07, 2006

The Trip, Part 1

Almost two years ago, I had a little run-in with a Mack truck on the way to work, totalling my car and bringing Twinkie into my life. Who could have known that one fateful accident would change my world forever? At least, my World of Vacations. No more setting up tents and sleeping fitfully on the ground! No more cheesy roadside hotels! No more Dennys meals! Best of all (because of the refrigerator), no more cooler leaking icy water into all the food and around all the surrounding bags in the trunk!

Twinkie is our vacation car, tent, and cabin/playhouse. She's our roadside restaurant and ferry-terminal waiting room. Because there's a level surface next to Mermaid Girl's seat, she can spread out her toys and dolls and drawing supplies and occupy herself for hours. The top pops up to make a double bed, and the back seat folds out to make another one. There's a stove and a fridge, and many cute little storage cabinets. It's fair to say that all three of us are united by our common love for the camper van.

Renaissance Woman, The Vacation Planning Queen, has Twinkie set up most of the time so that we can take her out for the weekend at a moment's notice, and we've done so several times. Last year we took the van up to Canada and visited various relatives living in B.C. But this past vacation was the first time we've gone on an extended trip in Twinkie, just the three of us, with no other agenda: no relatives to visit, no conferences or festivals to attend, no nothing, for two weeks. Just us, and our trusty camper van, driving down the coast from Seattle to Northern California and then back up.

It was the best vacation I've had in years.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family burnt through 3 of those while I was growing up. They are The Best. I'm jealous.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Oooooh, you're making me want one.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Mary Tsao said...

I wanna Twinkie!

And a garage or somewhere to store it would be nice, too.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home