Saturday, January 07, 2006

Attack of the Meme of Sevens

Guusje tagged me and I Am It, so here we go then:

Seven Books (Or Series) That I Love:
(always so hard to pick, and I've done a few of these before and they often ask for favorite books and I don't like to be repetitive, so this time around I am limiting the list to Obscure Books that I Love but that You Might Not have Heard Of):

Father's Arcane Daughter, by E. L. Konigsburg (Kids/YA)
Taash and the Jesters, by Ellen McKenzie (Kids fantasy)
A Long Way from Verona, by Jane Gardam (Kids/YA)
Little Miss Strange, by Joanna Rose (Adult)
Vinyl Cafe series, by Stuart Maclean (Adult, short stories, Canadian)
The Greengage Summer, by Rumer Godden (Sort of YA, or at least about a teenage girl)
The Sea of Trolls, by Nancy Farmer (YA, fantasy, actually not obscure at all but it was my very favorite book out of the 25 or so I read this summer and I just couldn't leave it off the list)


Favorite Movies

"When Night is Falling"
"Nashville"
"Cria Cuervos"
"Lone Star"
"Crooklyn"
"Brokeback Mountain," or maybe that's just because I just saw it and it sticks in my mind
"Shadow of a Doubt" it was Alfred Hitchcock's favorite of his movies, and it's mine, too.


I Just Can’t (Or Don’t Wanna)Stop

Reading (yeah, right, surprise)
Surfing blogs
Procrastinating
Recommending books to people
Staying up late (though I guess that is a form of procrastination)
Agonizing about how boring I've become in middle-age
Writing, in one form or another


Things to Do Before I Die

See Venice
Write a book
Spend some extended time in New York again (but when? After MG's grown up, maybe)
Clean my room and sort and organize all my stuff (hah! MG will have to deal with it all, honestly)
Travel around in Twinkie (or one of its successors) for at least 6 months to a year
Find Kirsten Jennings, my best friend from preschool
Learn some Latin, finally, after not getting to take Latin in 7th grade because I went to the crappy junior high school and the school board wouldn't let me transfer to the other one, and then by high school I was too busy with other stuff, and there you go, it's been almost 30 years.

Things That Attracted Me to Blogging:

Another way to procrastinate!
Friends! At any time of day or night!
Endless text! At any time of day or night!
A chance to write and get instant reinforcement. I was hooked.
I can talk about my kid and no one can stop me, hahahahahah!
Finally, I get got to be on the cutting edge of a social trend!
And, well, now I'm addicted so it's too late for me.

Seven Things I Say Most Often

At home:
Okay, here's what's going to happen.
I can't hear you when you use that voice. Please use a big-girl voice.
Tonight, I'm really going to get to sleep early.
I dunno, what do you want to watch?

At work:
1, 2, 3, eyes on me!
Why don't you try this book? Just read a page or two. Give it five minutes of your life.
No games on the computers!

Seven Impractical Things I Think Would Be Really Cool Anyway

No work days, only home days. Free time forever!
A major political party that actually stands for all the stuff I believe in.
Becoming a night person again.
A whole bathtub full of chocolate pudding.
Getting to see my closest friends on a regular basis, like the characters in "Sex and the City".
A pied a terre on the Upper West Side, land of my earliest memories. (Except I hear it's not what it once was. Well, Brooklyn, then.)
Taking public transportation to work. It would take 2 hours each way. But hey, I'd get to read. And I'd feel so green!

Seven People to Tag

Well, as usual, most people I know who'd want to do this meme have already done this meme by now. But I'd be interested to read what:

Ms Jane
Cousin Lucy's Spoon
Funny Pathetic
Between Stupid and Clever
Kate Rothwell
Peter's Cross Station
Puggy's Hill

have to say. And you, too, if you're reading this and want to be, consider thyself tagged!


3 Comments:

Blogger elswhere said...

RHD! It's great to hear from you--I didn't know if you were still reading! I'd love to know what you think of any of them.

You want a tag too? Or are you all memed out?

10:05 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Whew! You didn't tag me. Great list, though. I'm addicted to blogging, too.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I did it already, fred, before Else tagged me. . .so consider yourself tagged.

heh heh heh (my GWB imitation)

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home