Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Is this the party to whom I am speaking?

Sorry to have disappeared. More coming soon. For now: A small Mermaid Girl snippet because all the holiday fun! fun! fun! has ensured that I don't have the focus to take on any of the bigger topics swirling around my brain:

MG has become the Official Phone Answerer of the House. So much so that she takes great offense if anyone else tries to answer the phone when she's in hearing range. As our phone only rings four times before switching over to voicemail, this ensures a great flurry of excitement whenever the first ring is heard, as our girl sprints across the house, over furniture, etc. to grab it in time.

She usually remembers to say "Hello?" but she's a little fuzzy on the rest of the protcol.

Here's about what it usually sounds like:

"Hello?" [a little tentative and wobbly]

"Yes, this is Mermaid Girl." [modestly proud]

"Which mom would you like?" [My favorite phone line EVER.]

"Yes. May I ask her who's...may I tell you who's...may you ask her who's calling?"

*silently hands the phone to one of us and scurries off to change her outfit yet again*

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Elswhere,
Very Hilarious (deserving of caps, even)! Our house has a similar phone protocol, though we try to be strict about no answering the phone during dinner. Our big boy (4 yrs old) is quite good at saying "Yes, this is Henry." but also (amusingly) good at figuring out telemarketers (he hangs up, shrugs and says "Junk.") and even making little four-year-old jokes: the other day when I called in from work to see how everything was going he handed the phone to my husband and said, giggling hysterically, "It's Steven" (his little brother's godfather) and was mightily encouraged by Papa's look of dumbfoundment when it turned out to be just boring Mama.

And hey, it's sort of nice not to have to jump for the phone anymore!

All the best for the holidays,
aka Marina

7:15 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Grace! I'm so there!

Um. I hope.

And Marina, that's way cute. Maybe we should teach MG to screen calls (and also to say her name, yeah, that would be good...)

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

podcasting!!!!!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Wow! Do we get to meet you?

What will I wear!

I'm blogging over here.

http://tragicblogfreeday.blogspot.com/

9:29 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

What will *you* wear, Jo? What will *I* wear?!?

Of course what I will wear will be limited by what I'll have brought in Twinkie. So I'll have to think about it ahead of time. I mean it's not every day that spouses get to meet for the first time.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Perhaps we could simply agree to coordinate our outfits. If we match, it will be that much easier.

1:01 PM  
Blogger TLP said...

Cute story. Also loved the one below. I'm over from your mother's.

3:36 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Anna-- BlogHer is a big women's blogging convention. The first one took place in the Bay Area last summer, and they're planning to have another this summer. Late July, I think. I really, really, really want to go, if I can swing it.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home