Thursday, May 12, 2005

In Lieu of Content

A couple of links:

Implicit Association Test, via Bitch.Ph.D. I first heard about this test from Angela a few months ago, but only just found out that anyone can self-administer it online. It takes about ten minutes, not much longer than all those fun, silly quizzes, but don't be fooled: not only is it totally fascinating, but it can lead to some uncomfortable revelations about yourself. The tests are a product of scientific research about biases based on race, age, sexual orientation, etc. You can even sign up to participate in their ongoing study on biases and preferences via online tests.

Turns out I seem to be about as unconsciously racist as I thought I was (slightly), but more religiously egalitarian: I thought I'd test as biased in favor of Judaism, but my test results showed "little or no automatic preference for Judaism relative to other religions." Go figure.

I also tested out as only slightly biased in favor of gay people over straight people, where I thought I'd be wildly pro-gay. (Could that be partly because all the gay-related images were of men? Hmm?)

Speaking of gay people: Romance Rioter and former reporter Kate Rothwell has put her investigative skills to work and uncovered The Real Gay Agenda. It's so secret, even I didn't know about it. Of course, I never go to the meetings.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

I've taken several of the tests and am still with my first opinion. Something's not quite right with them. I have a visceral hatred of Pepsi and the test said I have a moderate preference for Coke. Moderate? MODERATE?

Sheesh.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

You know, if you don't go to the meetings, you don't get the toaster.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, most gay people still test out anti-gay. Mildly pro-gay is actually wildly pro-gay. I'm afraid to take it. I did read how you can trick the test, though (in an article in the Washington Post; this tip is care of one of the test's authors): Hold in your mind a positive image of a person from the group-you're-trying-to-prove-you're-not-biased-against-but-probably-subconsciously-are while taking the test. Supposedly, trying conscioiusly to fool the test by consciously hesitating doesn't work but simply thinking good thoughts about biased groups does.

--Angela

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home