Monday, May 09, 2005

Mugged on Mother's Day

It was just like The Gift of the Magi or something. Or maybe not like that. But in any event, RW and I both independently and secretly had the same brilliant idea for Mother's Day: hand-painted mugs!

She was much more organized and took the Mermaid Girl to a paint-your-own-pottery place almost two months ago to get my mug done. MG didn't breathe a word about it to me, aside from "I'm not gonna tell you what you're getting for Mother's Day! It's a surprise!" So I really didn't know about it when I noticed that Hugh Crawford's photography site offered mugs as well as prints. I ordered one with MG's photo on it, and it only took a couple of days to get here. Then I realized that if we could find paint that would stick to the shiny mug and not wash off, she could paint on the blank white part of the mug and personalize it even more.

I didn't have a chance to buy paint until Saturday, so Sunday morning found MG and me huddled in my office behind a big "Do Not Enter" sign on the door, trying not to get permanent acrylic paint on her pajamas.

I was happy for her to paint whatever she wanted, as long as she didn't cover up the photo. The paint did slide a bit, but basically it worked fine.

The only glitch came when MG wanted to paint on the inside of the mug as well. I read over the instructions and told her she couldn't, because the paint wasn't supposed to come in direct contact with food.

"Please?" she begged. "Just a little bit of writing in the middle, on the bottom? Because that's what I did with yours!"

Fortunately, I didn't hear that part and so was able to be completely surprised when I opened my present after breakfast.

And indeed, there was writing on the bottom of the cup, dictated by her and written by RW: "Dear Mommy, I love you, love MG." A little reward for finishing my tea.

We had to wait another hour or so before RW's mug had dried enough for us to present it, but she pronounced it the most beautiful mug she'd ever owned. Which is exactly the way I feel about mine. Really and truly, and aside from the sentiment: MG picked the colors just right. That girl not only knows how to keep a secret (should we be worried about that?), but she knows my taste.

All together now: "Awwwwww..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home