Thursday, February 03, 2005

Still here, don't worry.

*Blowing dust off Blogger account*

Hi there, all you who are still visiting and haven't given up on finding appreciable content over here at Travels in Booland. Nice to see you. I haven't given up either. I'm sure my muse will be back...any...day...now....

Meanwhile, I've been flitting around like a regular social butterfly, reading and commenting and writing over-lengthy and discursive e-mails, probably scaring away any prospective correspondents. I have a long post brewing, maybe more than one, all about public school and race and integration and the two-hour phone conversation I had last weekend with my friend and sometime commenter Angela, and why the phrase "The hard, painful work of undoing racism," intoned frequently, sends the two of us into uncontrollable guffaws. (Short answer: a few too many extremely earnest, self-lacerating anti-racism workshops in our respective pasts.)

All this brought on by the looming specter of Kindergarten Choice, of course. And finally finishing The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem, all 528 pages of it (well, I did listen to much of that on CD). And by the series my mom is writing that's partly about why they moved us to the suburbs. (Ah, who's the copycat now? Me, I guess.)

In the meantime: a small moment, brought to you by Mermaid Girl, who didn't like what was on the dinner menu tonight.

Me: How about some cheese, instead?
Her: No! I will not dine on cheese.

Well. All right then.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Her Imperial Majesty have to retire to her chamber on an empty stomach? Or did her Loyal Handmaiden say: "In that case, you must dine on cake and ice cream."

2:42 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

"Me: How about some cheese, instead?
Her: No! I will not dine on cheese."

Down, ovaries, down!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Katie Ferguson said...

Did you hear Bush's oh-so-magnanimous call to discard the "baggage of bigotry" in his Inaugural Address? That one always gets (deserves!) a chuckle.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home