Monday, January 24, 2005

But wait, there's still more!

If you click now, you get this fabulous meme! Not available in stores!

RedHeadDread tagged me and I am it! Here goes:

1. Total amount of music files on your computer:
On this computer? The one I'm writing on? None. I'm not even sure if it lets me download. RW's computer does, but there's not much music on there either. We are old-fashioned girls and listen to music via CD, cassette, and occasionally vinyl. (RW works at an arts college, though, and is a sound designer and editor, so between home and work she can dub music from any medium to just about any other, including things I don't understand like 4-track and MIDI.)

I do listen to This American Life via their website on this computer, though. Does that count? *Sigh* Thought not.

2. The last CD you bought was:

I bought RW The Best of Nina Simone for Jul. And Skaterboy just gave us KD Lang's Hymns of the 49th Parallel, I think in hopes of luring us up to Canada. But I can't remember the last time I bought a CD for myself. I think it was Apology by Uncle Bonsai. But that was over two years ago, so it can't be right.

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?

The very last song I listened to was "Pay Me My Money Down," which tops Mermaid Girl's play-over-and-over hit parade at the moment. It's on her current bedtime CD, Night Time! by Dan Zanes. She grabbed my arm and made me stay after I tucked her in so I could re-start it in case it skipped, which it sometimes does because she's listened to it so much. I like it too.

But that's before writing this message, not reading it. I read it at lunch time, so I think the last song I'd listened to then was "Nowhere Man" from the Beatles Red Album. It was in the CD player in the car-- another Mermaid Girl request (the album, not that song in particular).

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.

This is hard-- my whole life, or big chunks of it, are one big musical soundtrack. I'll just write down 5 that come to mind:

1--"The Christians and the Pagans" by Dar Williams reminds me of a really nice dinner I had with some relatives this past December. Actually I've been listening to the whole Mortal City CD in the car this fall and winter, almost obsessively. It's a very wintery album, plus, who can resist a CD that contains not one but two songs about city planning?

2--"Morning Morgantown" by Joni Mitchell. This was the first song I ever sang to Mermaid Girl, right after she was born. It always makes me choke up. (Well, it did before I sang it twenty zillion times.) Come to think of it, I could answer this question four or five times over with various Joni Mitchell songs and the particular moments or events I flash on when I hear them. I'm a folkie girl that way.

3--"All the Way from America," by Joan Armatrading always takes me back to the thrill of discovering her at the A-school when I was 16, and also of my lovelorn early 20's.

4--"[Everyone's Your Friend in] New York City." It's by Cub but the They Might Be Giants recording is what I own and listen to over and over and that Mermaid Girl and I dance around to in the kitchen.

5--"Tango Till They're Sore" by Tom Waits. I hardly ever listen to my one Tom Waits cassette, but when I am raw and miserable with grief or fury or whatever, his whiskey voice is the one I want to hear.

Can I do this one again? so I can put in some show tunes? And Billy Joel? (sad, but true.) And ballads and stuff?

5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?

Ohh... this is tough. Okay. I pick Anna, because so much of our taste is eerily similar, I'm curious to see how far it extends and where it diverges. And Jo because she is such the writer and artist, I want to know what the aural part of her imagination is like. And Shannon because she once asked for suggestions for posting topics, so she might like this one.

But, like RHD, I'd like to tag everyone reading this. Because my nosiness knows no bounds. Leave a comment and let me know, and I'll come comment on your list.

Tag! You're it!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You came all the way from America...how nostalgic, how melancholy. I went to a JA concert at Wolf Trap when I was a young high school teacher, and she wore fabulous, fabulous, Kate-Hepburn-style pants. We have been singing to Ella, and this is kind of embarrassing, The Lusty Month of May from Camelot. What other song has the word "aghast" in it? Or "rue"? Do you think words, when discussed as such, should be in quotes? Should I consult APA or Turabian? Or Strunk and White? Am I a goober for singing show tunes to my baby, as my mom sang to me? Sometimes when I listen to the Camelot soundtrack I get all teary. Poor Arthur! His own idealism brought about the ruin of his personal life! He trusted his friends and they could not help but betray him! The folly of youth, the heartbreak of virtue! After "If ever I would leave you" I sometimes have to stop listening.

Randomly yours,
Angela

4:18 PM  
Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

I shall attempt it! *puffing out chest resolutely*

5:13 PM  
Blogger LilySea said...

Don't you love KD's version of Hallelujah?

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just about any Nina Simone album is terrific. But as a librarian I feel honour-bound to tell you that there are several CDs entitled "The Best of Nina Simone" and the one that Elswhere so kindly bought me for Jul is not actually the one she linked to.

It's really the 1970 "Best of", with the groovy green text on the black cover. See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002W6K/qid=1106725366/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_b_2_3/102-7611436-0270542

I coveted it because I grew up with my mom's LP and I love not only the sexy "I Want a Little Sugar in my Bowl" and the stirring "I wish I knew how it would feel to be free" (which my mom said was an anthem of her 1960's radical feminist group), but also the delectable "[You'll] Go to Hell".

Enjoy,
- RW

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides the songs my computer came with, and Karma Chameleon (don't ask, it's hard to explain), the only song I have downloaded is How it feels to be free, and I play it to myself in my office when I am lacking in resolution and mental toughness. I sometimes fantasize that I will share this with my students, we will play it and all get up together and dance, sort of like in countless movies, but of course never actually do this. Why? Because I am a nice white girl.

--Angela

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home