Monday, January 10, 2005

The Canadian Conspiracy--Updated with Even More Canadian Content!

Hi, this is Renaissance Woman. Elswhere asked me to tell you this:

So, we've been watching this trashy lesbian soap called "The L Word" on DVD. The way you can tell it's Showtime & not HBO is that it's Really Cheesy. But it's an ensemble piece, so you get hooked into it despite yourself because you want to know what happens with the characters.

What I love most about it is that, even though it's set in LA, with little sidetrips elsewhere, it's mostly filmed in British Columbia. Not just filmed there but cast there. So, except for 7 of the 8 lead characters, everyone says "mum" and "abouoot" . Imagine... an alternate universe in which all of LA, Santa Rosa, Palm Springs, even the West Village of New York City, are all peopled by CANADIANS!

Stealth Canadians Take Over The WORLD! Heh heh heh, eh?

- RW (formerly resident in, still citizen of, and forever loyal to the True North Strong and Free)

Update a few days later:

So we're watching Season 1 Episode 13 (on a rented DVD, I might add, as we're cheap for cable and it's too cheezy to buy). This episode has a Big Symbolic Theme about the "Language of the Manatees" in Florida (and refers to manatees as "whales", which they aren't).

And we notice that even the manatees are played by Canadians--arctic Canadian beluga whales, frolicking about the Vancouver Aquarium. But, being Canadian, they were too polite to mention it. ("Oh, manatees, eh? Well, actually, we're not manatees, we're...well, we're belugas, but that's okay, you just go on with your show, don't worry about us. Really, it's okay, we're fine. Just fine. Really. ")
--RW again

5 Comments:

Blogger weese said...

ah...the LWord - a show of controversy in our house.
Its just like you said - cheesy. My sophisticated wife really doesn't like it. She has much higher standards than I for sure.
I also agree on its cheese qualities, but hey - its lesbians...on showtime ...of course I am going to watch each week.

4:25 AM  
Blogger heather said...

The L Word. "our" first lesbian show, so we "have" to watch it so they'll make more/branch out/embrace lesbians as a viable/marketable demographic.

ok i'll buy that for one viewing per week. but yeah, the show just ain't good enough to buy on dvd, i'm sorry. at least for me. queer as folk is better, in my opinion, although obviously extremely lame in the lesbo dept.

that said, i'm glad they renewed The L Word for another season. i'm hoping it will get better, and i'm willing to give that pack of pseudo-LA dykes another chance. i guess it's the cheesy romantic in me. :-)

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canadians are taking over the world. I learned that in my first day at the NY Public Library! ;)

I've never seen the L-Word because we don't have cable. I guess I'm not a very good lesbian. *slaps own wrist*

-zeebah
http://zeebahtronic.org

7:39 AM  
Blogger mute said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care too much about this show. However, I'd let Leisha Hailey eat crackers in my bed anytime...

8:07 AM  
Blogger Lioness said...

I just got back from Canada and you'll be happy to know my Briticised Portie accent now sounds distinctly Canuck as well, after a few days I was saying Houoose and Souooth and adding the occasional Eh at the end of sentences. I've been thinking in English for a few months now and even though I came back I still do it in my mind. Also, I got addicted to all the series there and the L Word was about to start and I was annoyed I wouldn't get to see a single episode bcs the trailer sounded interesting - I'm a bit more conformed now, and it will eventually make its way over here. So it may all be good.

(And thank you, so much, for what you wrote. You lot have turned into a major suppport network, I am v grateful for that. It helps a lot.)

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home