Monday, November 08, 2004

Spoilers Ahead. Sort of.

I don't know if you've seen "Mulholland Drive" or not. I don't want to spoil it for you. But it might not even matter if I do because OH MY GOD IT IS SO CREEPY. SO CREEPY. I am so freaked out. I haven't been this freaked out by a movie for a long time. I heard about it when it first came out a few years ago, it sounded too scary to watch on a big screen but I thought I could stand seeing the DVD. But that meant I brought it into MY OWN HOME. I can barely even sit on the couch we sat on to watch it. Too scary.

We rented it Saturday night, when Mermaid Girl was at her preschool's Parent's Night Out. And then, because is is so hard to figure out what's going on and everything changes in the last 45 minutes of the movie so that you have to understand the first two-thirds in a whole different way, we watched the first half again last night. And I couldn't get to sleep for hours. I was going to watch the second half again tonight, but RW was out at some performance and after I put Mermaid Girl to bed (and I could barely stand the moment when she turned the light out, she likes to make a big production out of turning the big light out and then letting it be really dark for a few moments before she switches the nightlight on and I almost screamed tonight, it was terrifying, I couldn't get out of there and into the bright bright kitchen fast enough) the house just seemed so... empty. And I couldn't let all those scary people and camera angles and that uncanny music back into it.

The funny thing is that it's RW who's usually the movie wimp and doesn't like anything with violence in it. But she wasn't nearly as creeped out as I was.

It caught me with its smartness and uncanniness and the riddle of it. I can't watch it again. I can't. I can barely even stand to have it in the house. But I can't let it go. I want to watch that party scene again, to figure out what part's real, and the scene in the club, to see what clues there are there. And I want to figure out what's up with the aunt. And I need to figure out what happens with the blue box. Someone said the blue box shows up again in the last third of the movie and I want to see if that's true. And I really should look hard at the scene where they break into the apartment; I was too scared to watch it the first time. I want to look for the ashtray.

Just writing about it is giving me the cold shivers.

But he made it so intriguing. Why did he do that? Why?

Good thing I found this. Or I would never even understand as much as I do.*

But... do I really understand anything? Do any of us?

Oh, good night. Going to look for something frothy to read.

*Though I take issue with the article's reference to "All that sex." Okay, the chemistry was pretty intense, but there were maybe two sex scenes, and they were short, and not that explicit as such things go. I think when male reviewers see lesbi@n s3x onscreen it makes their brains go blank and they can't think of anything else. Because girls! Two of them! Making out! Yikes! Time slows. The next half-hour or so of the movie is blotted out. Because girls! Two of them! etc.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

I've been thinking abt you. I'm glad P brought us together, i'm really enjoying your blog (this willl have nothing to do w the film which I've never seen and don't think I will till I find a burly mean man to watch it with). You're a Jewish left-handed lesbian - now tell me you're black and your dad is latino and there's a script here somewhere.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Wen and I hated that movie. I just remember wishing we had the time we wasted watching it back so we could use it more wisely. :)

But I'm glad someone has found some entertainment value within. Gotta say though girl, you sure scare easy!

7:49 PM  
Blogger lost said...

An interesting take on Mulholland Drive. Sorry that it crept you out, though.

I'm curious - what is your take on Bound? It seems to be 60/40 among the Brothers & Sisters crowd [as they call themselves :)]. Which side are you on [if you've seen it, that is]?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Gehh! I hate scary movies. Was it scary scary? Creepy "someone's upstairs don't go through that door" kind of scary, or "oh my god people are so yucky" scary?

6:15 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

It was uncanny, nightmarish, images-you-can't-get-out-of-your-head-because-they're-so-brilliant-and-yet-so-disturbing creepy. And the music doesn't help. All these weird low atonal strings.

Maili-- I've never seen Bound. It sounded too violent and scary. So I can't take any kind of political stand on it. Is it scarier than Mulholland Drive?

10:39 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Oh, and Lioness-- that's a psoriatic left-handed Jewish lesbian, please!

Nice to see you here & at Cousin Lucy's Spoon ;-)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Lioness said...

Yes, funny how I managed to forget THAT one. We don't need Freud for that do we.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Udge said...

There was sex in "Mulholland Drive"? That's not what I remember of the film, it certainly wasn't the point of the film as I saw it. People are strange...

8:27 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Els, "Bound" beats "Mulholland Drive" in every possible movie rating category. In my (and Wen's!) own humblest of opinions of course. :)

It's got suspense, yes. But it's not scary in the sense of creepy-scary. It's got a bit of violence, yet violence is not what I think of when I think of that movie.

"Bound" has incredible cinematography. "Bound" has some great acting and a wonderful storyline. "Bound" has Gina Gershon, for pete's sake! "Bound" is HOT HOT HOT (and I know hot!) Hot with a happy ending. :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger lost said...

Bound is an American neo noir film, written and directed by the Wachowiski brothers [probably best known for their work on The Matrix series]. It's not scary nor gory. It's your basic crime story with a bit of love/romance thrown in. Oh, and a sex scene in slo mo, which, of course, thrills many teen boys and girls to bits(!) :)

Here is a link to Bound page at IMDB.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115736/

:)

3:25 PM  
Blogger lost said...

P.S. My memory tells me that the scene wasn't in slo mo. But it feels like it was. Hm. I wonder if that is something going on in my head that I don't know about?

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home