Wednesday, October 20, 2004

NaNoWriMo: The Countdown Begins

NaNoWriMo starts in 12 days.

I think I have an outline. It's the most boring of the several ideas that sprang to mind, but it is the easiest. With 50,000 words to write in 30 days, there's no time to mess around with research or even much plot construction. Maybe I'll be more ambitious next year.

A couple of links for fellow frantic novelists:

Erik Benson has created a downloadable NaNoWriMo Report Card in Excel spreadsheet form; you plug in your word count and time spent writing every day and see how you're doing in relation to your overall goal.

Blogger has a NaNoBlogMo site for people who are blogging their novels. The submission guidelines suggest that
A separate blog dedicated to the writing process is best, but personal blogs that are just obsessed with NaNoWriMo for a month are good too.
You have to have a Blogger account for the NaNoBlogMo deal, it looks like, (Bleah. Sorry.) but even if you don't submit your own it's inspiring to see all the others. I haven't submitted this blog yet and don't plan to start a separate blog just for the novel project. But I'll probably post parts of it.

It might suck, though. No time to mess around with editing, either. Or much other blogging, for that matter.

But it'll be fun!

Right?

Um, right??

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

It terrifies me that once you good writer figure out that this book thing is no big deal, AND you finish your NaNo books, AND they hit the agents and publishers, advances will go even further down.

hiding under the covers,
Kate

12:47 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

heck, I'm so scared I left a comment just like this in another blog. http://mcvane.blogspot.com/ I even took your name in vain.

Clearly I need to recover from that American League series. We all need more sleep, but we're not going to get it.

Ack.

8:07 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Kate, can I hire you as my publicist? I mean, when I'm all published and everything? [out of my no doubt miniscule advance]

For now, I can only pay in book recommendations. And abject gratitude ;-)

Oh, wait, take back that abject gratitude-- I'm hooked on McVane now and have lost another hour of my life to her and that query letter site she linked to. Another morning sucked into the blogosphere.

Go Sox! And me a childhood Yankees fan. But who can resist this one?

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home