Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Because I am obsessive, and because it is my blog

Wrapping up a few loose ends before we head down the coast in Twinkie tomorrow:

1) Went to the allergist today. Nice guy, also has a 4-year-old daughter, but she was born in September so they're going to wait another year before starting her in kindergarten. She's smart, well of course they think she's smart, *chuckle*, but kind of reserved in social situations, so this will probably be better for her... oh, my weird allergic reactions? Huh. He doesn't know.

The upshot is, next time I have an outbreak I'm supposed to rush to the nearest hospital and get a blood sample taken within an hour. This will work out fine as long as I don't have a class scheduled, i.e. if it happens on a Tuesday or Friday afternoon. Since no one has any idea what brings it on, or when, there's no way to predict when it will happen. Excitement abounds.

2) Send RedHeadDread some good wishes--she's trying to deal with a sticky holiday-related situation at her daughter's preschool. Her post on the topic inspired me to address it with the 4th graders I saw today, and they blew me away with their insights on stereotypes, including their thoughts on their own stereotypes of Native Americans. There is hope after all, maybe. I am--in the most general, least celebrating-a-genocide way possible--thankful for that.

3) Maybe I am taking this get-the-family-blogging thing too far. (I expect this one to have a mainly family readership, not necessarily to be of interest to blog connisseurs. All words guaranteed authentic; I'm just the typist.)

My question: why did she title it "Happy Orange Hour" and then choose the pink template?

3 Comments:

Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Happy t day! eat a lot! drink! be merry! all the best.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I should damn well hope so! After that earlier post about the weird allergies (jeez, at first I thought you were having hot flashes! But you're too young - have I told you enough times about how I remember the day you were born, yet?), I NEEDED to know WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!!

Thank you.

And be well. What a wonderful writer you are! And now I can visit here and collect els gossip, observations & witticisms whenever I like....bliss!

Your Coz,
visiting from another blogverse, at:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ellen_kushner/

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Angela again--I am VERY unhappy about these allergies. Like Ellen my first thought was very early menopause (though surely benadryl can't cure that?). I don't like it one bit. And the view from teacher education is that it is not just your right but your RESPONSIBILITY to leave your classes in the hands of your very capable library aide (do you have a very capable library aide?) because in order to be the best teacher you can be, you have to take care of yourself: You, your health & your family come first. I lecture my students on this every year and now if I find out you try to teach through one of these incidents instead of going to the hospital, I will have to call you on the phone and HARANGUE you about it. I mean it. If you don't have a very capable library aide, or even a mildly capable one or one who is at least not totally incompetent, you're just going to have to tell the principal that they have to figure something out. I MEAN IT. Anyway, it seems to me that you wouldn't be able to soldier on through a class anyway. I once got so dizzy in class that I had to be take by my students up to the nurse. Anyway, I think that happened, or maybe I was just really worried that it would happen. Well, I DEFINITELY had to sit abruptly on the floor numerous times when I got too light-headed. (Physics can be pretty exciting, apparently--this never happens any more now that I'm teaching teacher ed.) And now, looking back, I realize that it was ridiculous that I was sitting on the floor, head spinning, peering at my students through big fuzzy black spots, and trying to talk about Newton's Laws or something as though I hadn't just collapsed in front of everyone. Don't be as dumb as I was, go to the hospital next time this happens, and let the principal take care of the 4th graders or whomever. This is why s/he is paid more than you are.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home