Sunday, April 05, 2009

In Which I Reappear, Briefly

I didn't mean to be gone so long. I NEVER mean to be gone so long. But jeez, March was nuts. I figure if you average out November and March it combines to make a decent average rate of posts, but for those two or three people out there clicking forlornly (or am I the only person who hasn't gone to a feed-reader?) that doesn't really help, does it.

In any case: Back now! With the birds and the sunshine! My job today is to pack, get the Mermaid Girl packed, do some work (yes! on a Sunday, right before I get on a red-eye! see above re: March, nuts), find several mysterious tax documents so RW can work on taxes while we are away (just the thing for those relaxing evenings alone), and then get on a plane.

Has anyone else besides me become more plane-claustrophobic with age? No? Maybe? Maybe it's just those teeny tiny seats we get now.

Also, MG has to do homework. Either today, or on the trip, or both. She is not thrilled at the prospect and I don't blame her. On the other hand, she's missing a week of school in order to do command performances of the Four Questions and eat street-vendor hot dogs, so I'd say she's coming out ahead.

Mainly, she has to do some math and build a simple machine. I know nothing about simple machines but apparently it is standard Grade 3 curriculum all over Canada. So chances are the average Canadian 9-year-old is much more knowledgeable about the ways of levers, pulleys, and springs than I am. Maybe I should find one and ask her over for the afternoon to help MG with her project.

Here are some haiku, generated by this application from previous blog entries:

when people of our
age and class were living and
studying in a few

x tulchinsky book
for example the one who
looked over at

want my maaaamaaaa me
yeah i know but i'm the one
who's here so there we

career paths i could
sing the songs by heart even
the sevens even

one that's very
different from what i've been
doing they'd have charts

productive in the
last two days last week at a
gas station tried to

we know what to say
that the car guys that and they
said it was moisture

from india to
canada where she continues
to feel baffled by

and would be so much
they asked her to change the
songs by heart even


But this one is my very favorite:

so what do you need
to eat something and maybe
even a bonus

Yes, indeed.
More from Old Country. I'll eat a knish for you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

If you can't find a nine-year-old Canadian, you're welcome to borrow my seven-year-old. He covered it earlier this year.

Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zMIPx0Y3k

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i too can provide help with simple machines. here in maine i think it was grade 3 as well. here's a hint--the humble wheelbarrow comprises at least 2 simple machines: wheel, inclined plane,and...i seem to recall there was another but i don't remember. hope this helps!

4:05 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Phantom, that video was perfect! And MG has now made her simple machine (with RW's help, plus cardboard, brads, and string, and markers) and we took photos of 5 levers found around the house (2 circus playmobil things, scissors, hair-clip, and doll stroller). The rest she'll have to do when we get back.

It's embarrassing being the Bad Parent who pulls her kid out of school in the middle of a big unit, but that's the way of things. We probably won't be doing it much after this year.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Hey, I'm glad my kids' addiction to PBS Kids could be of use to you. That's BB's favorite show.

That you used playmobil in a science project would make you a total hero around this house!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Eat a knish for me!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

i like your header! i need to eat a bonus.

9:49 PM  
Blogger JODY DIPERNA said...

My favorite haiku from the election cycle, courtesy of my friend:

Barack Obama
Barack Hussein Obama
Barack Obama

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home