Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Time-Sensitive Question

I can't find my winter jacket. It was a good jacket, sturdy and warm and hooded and waterproof, if not exactly fashion-forward; a couple of years ago the zipper pull fell off, so I replaced it with a paper clip, and also the coat itself is a sort of early-'90's shade of turquoise which I have since come to regard as unfortunate.

But. It was MY jacket. It was, as I said, a good jacket. Every spring I washed it and put it away, and every fall I took it back out. And now it is nowhere to be found. Probably I left it in the closet of one of the numerous libraries where I work, and then forgot about it.

So. If I don't find it soon, I need to buy a new jacket.

This isn't really, in itself, a problem. We are not rolling in cash but we have enough for me to buy a jacket. I bought this jacket in 1995, and it's had a good run. Really it is okay to get another jacket.

The problem is that what I really want is the EXACT SAME jacket, only in black. But,

a) I'm not sure where to get the exact same jacket, other than in Fred Meyer's in 1995,
and,
b) RW already has a very similar black jacket, and we already have very similar hoodies and very similar jeans and interchangeable socks and identical (except for the size) shoes, and I just do not want to have another important-frequently-worn item of clothing that is so similar to hers, for emotional as well as practical reasons--it would be a pain to get to work and find I'd taken her jacket instead of mine, especially given my propensity for leaving my cell phone in my jacket pocket. Plus, most of my winter clothes are black, which means that I can never find the item I want in a pile, which is where my clothes are frequently to be found.

SO, I ask you, gentle readers:

--What is a good color for a jacket, these days?
and,
--Is there a particular kind you recommend?
and,
--If so, where can I find it?

I thank you in advance for your timely suggestions. Last year it snowed in the first week of December.

6 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

My current jacket is a mid-thigh length faux-shearling fleece in a nice dark plum color, but in general I think dark brown is a good color for a winter coat, and my back-up, dressier winter is a dark brown boiled-wool coat that I bought from Garn@t Hill because it was on crazy sale about the same time you got your turquoise one. It's A-line and turned out to be perfect for pregnancy.

I generally start my searches as LL B@an. I don't always end them there, but it's a good place to start, anyway. I've also found winter coats at 0verst0ck.com, but you have to go into the shopping venture feeling entirely unparticular.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Uh, all my jackets are black. You're saying other colors are acceptable, too?

I'm going to have to think about this for awhile. You're messing with my world-view in a major way.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a black coat person, too, although I did have a navy blue one for many years that I loved.

If I were to start from scratch with a new jacket, and black was off the table, I'd either go grey or brown. Brown is, apparently, the new black.

As to kind, my favorite jackets (we're talking ski coat, every day jacket, right, not dress up, I assume?) have been the two coats that zip together kind. Mine is about 20 years old, perfect shape, Columbia brand, but purchased at a Burlington Coat Factory for not much money. One jacket is a lightweight down, the other is a heavy waterproofy thing.

I am a budget shopper, so I get stuff at Burlington Coat Factory (coats) and online, in the sale section. You are in canada, lucky you, so you might try the MEC, which is the BEST outdoor store in the world.
I like lalabean, too.

7:46 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

ppb-- yes, a ski jacket! I forgot they're called that because I don't ski.

Brown seems to be the consensus color. There's a nice brown squall jacket (same design that MG and RW both have) at Lands End, and upon reflection I might just go with that. We will just be the Lands End Squall Jacket poster family.

Though, MEC, hmm, will investigate, thanks for the tip...

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red is a good colour. It says, "Fuck you, winter!"

11:01 AM  
Blogger vivacemusica said...

I agree with Rachel.... Go RED! I had lived in the Canadian arctic for five years, and had a drab grey parka from MEC, all the while wishing it was red. MEC is great and their stuff lasts and lasts and lasts.... I now have a green waterproof jacket from there, and I love it and will probably wear it for the next 10 years, although I'm beginning to think it's more a "hospital green" and not a "spring green".

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home