Friday, November 21, 2008

Greetings from the Exact Middle of my Work Week

Here is the schedule for my main job:

Thursday 1-9
Friday 1-9
Saturday 9-5
Monday 9-5

This has advantages and disadvantages. It's nice to have time off in the middle of the week to go to doctor's appointments and hassle electricians. And sometimes, since the Mermaid Girl's school is so close, she even comes home for lunch. The Renaissance Woman has a funky schedule too, so occasionally we all three sit down to a hot lunch together. It's very cozy and European.

On the other hand, I am only now, six months in, starting to get over the urge to growl and bite my co-workers' heads off when they wish me a cheery "have a great weekend!" as they head out the door at 5:00 on Fridays. Friday night to Saturday morning is the nastiest transition: two shifts that no one else wants, with a bare twelve hours (minus commuting time) in between. Because RW also has a funky schedule and works nights, more often than not we don't get to eat dinner together. And unless I take almost half a week's work time off, we never get to go away for the weekend.

And the two days I supposedly have off midweek, Tuesday and Wednesday, never really feel like days off, because I have freelance work I should be doing, and MG has to be gotten up for school anyway, and RW often works at home and the house is pervaded with anxious and getting-things-done energy. And then, just as I'm getting into the groove of things, Thursday comes around again and klonks me on the forehead and I'm back on the reference desk.

So. This may be Friday night to all of you, but it's something like around Tuesday night to me. And because I am filled up with my Friday-night-to-Saturday-morning grumpiness with not much room for creativity, I give you instead this joke that MG just tried to tell us as part of her bedtime stalling technique:

MG: What goes, ha, ha, ha, clunk?

RW: You!

MG: No! A man laughing his head off!

Happy Tuesday! Or Friday, whichever!

p.s. I promise that soon, in the near future, there will be posts about MG's circus class. And vegetarianism. And maybe even health insurance. But not tonight because I think my head is about to fall off.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamelamama said...

"ha ha thump" was a through-line inside joke between me and my bff in high school... meeeemmmmmoorieees! Hope you find your rhythm!

2:42 PM  
Blogger *K* said...

Almost my entire working life I have worked the weekend shifts, mostly by my own choice. I like the freedom of being able to do errands during the week, I love seeing a movie in the theatre on a Tuesday afternoon in a near empty room. However, it still grates on my nerves every time a person wishes me a "good weekend!" or "happy Friday!"...almost as much as it grates on my nerves when I am wished a Merry Christmas by a stranger.
Oh. Wait. Sorry. That was your other blog entry. Guess I'm onboard with all kvetches this time of year.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Hugs. And TGIM!

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home