Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Signs of Almost-7.5

Or: Tweendom Approacheth...but slowly.

Sign #1: Imperfect Mastery of Contemporary Youth Idiom

Scene: Out the Door to School

The Mermaid Girl: Are we walking, or driving?

Me: I figured we'd walk; we have the time, and it's not raining.

MG: Walking! I am so DOWN with that.

Me: [inwardly]: *Down with that! Hee, hee! How cute is that!* [out loud]: Well, okay, then, let's go!

MG: *scowls* No, I mean the OTHER KIND of down. I am DOWN with walking. Walking is the WORST.

Me: Oh. Right. Got it.

Sign #2: Incorporation of New Self-Image Into Fantasy Play

Scene: Dinner

The Mermaid Girl *hops adorably from kitchen counter to table, hands curved bunny-like in front of her chest.*

Me: Aw. Are you being a bunny?

MG *fiercely*: Yes. But I'm a BIG. STRONG. HAIRY bunny. Not a baby bunny.

Me: Oh. Right. Got it.

3 Comments:

Blogger susan said...

I am SO not laughing. (not.)

Shades of things to come, for sure!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Actorgirl said...

I LOVE that age! No longer so dependent, but before the viciousness of 4th/5th grade has set in.

SO adorable! :)

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fasten your seat belt, you guys are going to have a wild ride into tween and teendom! Love the blog, stumbled here via Blogher and will be back soon.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home