Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Girl Can Keep it Together

November has been kicking my butt.

I don't remember minding the darkness so much back in Seattle. But it wasn't quite as dark, being slightly further south. Also, because my old school didn't have any hallways, I was forced to go outside during the work day to get anywhere, and that probably helped. And we had a front and back porch. That helped too, I think.

Also, my rhythm is thrown off by not having Thanksgiving break at the end of November. We just keep plowing through till Christmas, I guess. It's weird to see all these harbingers of Thanksgiving online and not to be having it here. I'm not even that crazy about Thanksgiving as a holiday, but it turns out I miss it. My cousin's hosting a sumptuous American Thanksgiving feast on Thursday, which will be nice.

I'm working on keeping above the Pit of Despair by any means necessary: DVDs, Facebook, reading whatever I want to, eating chocolate and drinking wine.

And over and over in the car, between audiobooks, listening to The Be Good Tanyas' newest album, which we bought in the far-off sun-warmed days of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival last July.

I especially like the first cut, "Human Thing." It's not especially cheery, but it resonates more and more the more times I listen. You can hear the whole song (and see a lovely, springlike animated video interpretation) here.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear it's going hard.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yell for distraction if you need it.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, els! It's almost over.

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November is a mean month.
I think that's why Thanksgiving was thrown in there, even if it seems to be meaner that way to some.
Hang in there.
DVDs and facebook are beautiful diversions, no?

6:00 AM  
Blogger The Judge said...

Els, it's Alice (via your blog, not even an email). I have a depression light. Also, moving is tough. I recommend cheesy movies - Dirty Dancing, Adventures in Babysitting, etc.

11:49 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Thanks, all. And Alice-- I have NEVER SEEN Dirty Dancing! Maybe it's time to remedy that.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to struggle with the dark when we were in England. We're so lucky here with the sun.
Best wishes

8:16 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

November kicks my ass too. Sorry to hear it's going badly.

(Remember me? I'm alive...barely. Been lurking a couple months now.)

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

els,

For the new music, and just having mastered the ITunes Store, cross-referencing it with my favorite indie radio station and a few less than reputable music blogs (oh, it's all so complicated), I highly recommend the following singles:

"100 Days, 100 Nights" by Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings.

"La Camisa Negra" by Juanes

The entire disc, "Escape from Dragon House" by Dengue Fever (an acquired taste - particularly the Cambodian vocals, but I can't get enough of it.)

"The Underdog" by Spoon.

"Nosebleed" by Illinois.

"Here's Your Future" by The Thermals.

"Tie the Rope," by The Format.

If that doesn't get you through from November to January, I'm afraid I won't be of much help, except to say, keep passing the open windows while you drink more.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home