Saturday, August 04, 2007

I've Learned My Lesson

So, O Vancouver people:

Where should we get our phone and DSL connection from? We tried Rogers but they are nothing but trouble and have wasted two days of our lives. ("Bear with me," the guy on the phone kept saying, when he wasn't telling me that there was really nothing he could do. I bore with him for as long as I could stand it and then I snapped and became very un-Canadian. Then RW tried to call them and cancel our service, but they gleefully told her that she could not, because! It was after 6 PM! So she can't cancel until Monday, nanny nanny poo poo.)

Anyway. All suggestions welcome, as are anecdotes about the helpfulness or lack thereof of the customer service or tech support people at wherever you get your phone or Internet or both from.

In other news, our fridge is not yet working. The ice cubes I put in the freezer are just sitting there all watery. The landlady is flummoxed and will try to do something about it.

However, I do have a better backpack now. Zellers! Zellers is the place to go for all my everything needs! And it's not far away, at the Brentwood Mall, which also has sushi (then again, even the gas stations and ballparks have sushi here.) And it also had shower curtains and sink plugs and pillows and dozens of other things that I could have bought but did not.

So. That's one problem solved.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our phone and DSL are with Telus, but I seem to recall they were utter asses when we first subscribed too, so I'm not saying that's the answer.

Also -- Monday is BC Day. The holiday it will take you at least four years to remember exists. Ten bucks says they can't fix it then either.

8:32 PM  
Blogger parodie said...

I don't know if Primus is an option, but if they are - don't go with them! They have screwed things up in so many ways not worth numbering. Ugh. When in doubt, Bell is the default option (and, afaik, the owner of the phone lines, at least here out east, so if you're paying someone else they're renting the lines from Bell - draw what conclusions you will).

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say when you were here today - I recommend cable (um, don't know who the cable companies are here - Shaw?) and then VOIP for your phone service (but NOT Vonage because they are teh EVIL), because with VOIP you can make long distance calls all over teh North America fer one fee of like $27 or sommat.

We'd do it ourselves but for the way our cable internet is shared makes VOIP impossible, so we're stuck using um...wassit called? Snape? SKYPE! Skype. For our long distance.

Hope that helps. And I hope your wait wasn't too long at the border!

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could help but I leave all that techy stuff to my other half.
Best wishes

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot recommend Telus. They will only be useful if you really want to be reduced to a gibbering heap of disbelief and rage.

I am sorry to say I don't actually have some good recommendations.

12:33 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Thanks all for the tips!

monkeypants, we've already had the reduced-to-gibbering -heap-of-disbelief-and-rage experience courtesy of Rogers, so I think we will skip a second helping.

It looks like we're going with Shaw, whom I'm glad to see no one has yet specifically called out as awful. So I'll take that as a recommendation by default.

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are all much of a muchness, unfortunately.

Telus management was nastynasty to its workers during a job action a couple of years ago and I would delight in not using them for phone service (don't even know why I have phone service as I am phone-phobic but whatever) if there were a viable alternative...but it's not terrible enough to actively seek said alternative out. We considered the VOIP option but read (and heard one, from a friend) too many horror stories about difficulty with 911 service ie: doesn't always work.

I just - I want my 911 service to always work, you know?

Shaw is durn good for internet.

And Brentwood mall - er, excuse me, BRENTWOOD TOWN CENTRE - is the bomb, as malls go. I went to highschool a few blocks from there & spent many a skipped afternoon taking photos in the (gone since the early-90s renos) photo booth.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Telus is our evil overlord owner, and I cannot cope with them at all. I'd switch to smoke signals if we didn't run a server.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home