Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Intermission: The Book Stick

We interrupt this meme to bring you... another meme! Memes within memes! Where will it ever end?

I've been seeing this one around and figured it was only a matter of time before I got tagged. Okay, Mom, here goes:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

It would have to be something I wouldn't mind reading over and over, until I knew it by heart, and then reciting on demand for the rest of my life. Hmm...okay:

Girls, Visions, and Everything, by Sarah Schulman. I have it half memorized already. Either that, or Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh. (Come to think of it, the two have lots in common-- both are about scrappy androgynous females having adventures around New York and writing about them. Oh, heck, I'll be responsible for both books.)

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Um, see above question. That is: Lila Futuransky. And Harriet M. Welsch. And that circus woman in Fifth Business, by Roberston Davies, I forget her name. (I'm so fickle!) I'm sure there are more.

The last book you bought is:

I'm assuming this doesn't include the 55 books I just ordered for work. For myself? I don't buy many books; mostly I get them from one library or another. I think the last one I bought must have been A Hat Full of Sky, by Terry Pratchett; I got it for RW for Chranukah.

No, wait! I bought Belondweg Blossoming after that, by fellow-blogger Rachel Hartman. And I liked it so much I ordered the other comics that go with it. So yes! The last books I bought were the Collected Chronicles of Goredd. (And mighty fine they are, too; I was rereading one just the other day.)

The last book you read:

God Went to Beauty School, by Cynthia Rylant-- read it in one shot last night. It's very short, a YA stories-in-poetry-form sort of thing. It was okay.

What are you currently reading?

Kira-Kira, by Cynthia Kadohata, this year's Newbery winner. So far, so good. A little slow, though; I hope it picks up.
And my current book-on-CD for the car is Chasing Vermeer, by Blue Bailett. Kids' art mystery. Reminds me a little of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. People keep mentioning it to me, so I figured I should read it. It's great!

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

This is tricky, because I'm really a light reader, but I'd want some substantial things to carry me through. On the other hand, I once dragged Paradise Lost all around England for a whole summer without cracking it, preferring to read Girls, Visions and Everything over and over. Can I include that one again? And Harriet the Spy? Or is that too boring? Let's say I already know them by heart, because of the Farenheit 451 thing, so I don't need to bring them because I can write them out on bark with berry juice as soon as I get settled.

So:

The Jerusalem Bible (I could entertain and educate myself by working out the Hebrew from the English as I went along)
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, by Rebecca West [never finished that, always meant to]
Rise Up Singing, edited by Peter Blood-Paterson (I think that's who edited it)
One of the Russian novels I've never read: Anna Karenina, War and Peace... one of those.
The Tummy Trilogy, by Calvin Trillin

Three people I choose to "stick this" to and why:

I hate to impose, especially because I'm hoping a few of you will still be around when it's time for me to give out interview questions. I am curious, though-- so I pass this stick to anyone who wants to pick it up. Leave a comment below and let me know if you do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home