Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Joys of Reframing

Background: the Mermaid Girl has had a complete raving tantrum every time I mention the possibility of organized Hebrew School at our synagogue, declaring that she HATES Hebrew school, HATES IT HATES IT HATES IT, and absolutely won't go, despite my desperate assurances that it will be fun, with songs and dancing and making stuff and etc. I have been despairing.

Me [after a very pleasant and informative phone conversation with the new organizer/teacher of our synagogue's incipient religious education program]: Hey, Mermaid Girl, guess what?

MG: What?

Me: There isn't going to be a Hebrew school at our shul.

MG [relief and jubilation dawning on her face]: Yay! No Hebrew School!

Me: There's going to be a Kids' Club instead! It'll meet on Saturday mornings, during services. And there'll be songs, and dancing, and playing, and making things, and cooking and stuff.

MG [leaping into my arms and hugging me]: A Kids' Club! Oh boy! Kids' Club! I wanna go to Kids' Club! *begins shimmying around and chanting "Kids' Club, Kids' Club, Kids' Club!"*

Me: So, uh, you like that idea?

MG: I don't LIKE it, I LOVE it! Kids' Club, Kids' Club, Kids' Club!

So apparently I'm going to figure out how to get her to religious school Kids' Club on at least a semi-regular basis, even though I'm working Saturdays and we live about 45 minutes away from shul.

Because obviously this new religious school Kids' Club director/teacher is a friggin GENIUS.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That *is* genius! My problem is that my kid only wants to go to Hebrew school, and not regular school. I'm not sure how I can frame that differently.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is NOTHING more fun than Kids' Club! AND, they even have their own secret language and stuff! In your face, adults!

7:02 AM  
Blogger susan said...

I'm laughing here! Completely genius.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

Whoo hoo! I sure hope Kids Club is way funner than Hebrew School!!!

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids Club sounds great. I hope she has an absolute riot!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home