Saturday, July 05, 2008

More Random Bullets Cause it's All I can Handle

  • My kid! She is so amazing. I keep wanting to write a whole post about her.
  • We went through all her school stuff the other day and she WILLINGLY tossed about half of it: math problems, spelling tests, mind maps a/k/a elementary-level literary analysis-- toss, toss, toss. This all in itself is evidence of such stunning maturity that I was, well, stunned.
  • Plus, I had no idea about most of the stuff she was learning.
  • She learned to tell time, for example. But she kept this fact secret from us.
  • Also, she reads all the time now. On her own.
  • Thank God, she seems to be over the Rainbow Magic obsession.
  • Now it's all American Girl books, all the time.
  • Which would be great if we weren't in CANADA where they are relatively hard to find.
  • She is psyched about the new house.
  • A couple days after we signed the contract, I took her past the New House on the way to school so she could see the "SOLD" sign.
  • We were late to school because she had to run over and hug the sign.
  • Speaking of which, we're moving at the end of July.
  • I don't want to talk about it.
  • But I will say that we seem to spend several hours a week in banks and insurance offices meeting and signing things.
  • Every time we leave one of these appointments I feel like taking a long nap.
  • But usually I can't because I have to run off to work at that point.
  • Have I mentioned the hours at my new job?
  • Not to complain, but...yes, well, to complain:
  • They are sucky.
  • I work every Friday 1-9 and then Saturday 9-5, plus a couple of other shifts.
  • RW and MG are doing Shabbat on their own most weeks.
  • Technically, MG is leading because RW isn't Jewish.
  • I put a treat in a Shabbat Box and she gets to open it when she's done with the blessings.
  • She seems to be okay with it. But I miss it.
  • It's nice to see the candles burning when I get home at 9:30 or so.
  • But then I have to go to bed.
  • And now I have to go to work.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Ech, that's killer, the 12-hours-between-work-shifts thing, especially on a weekend. Is this a temporary schedule, or Life As We Now Know It?

Wish I could come on over and help pack boxes for you. Also, I am SO impressed with MG. Around here I'm still doing the school-stuff cull while the kids are out of the house...

10:29 AM  
Blogger Arwen said...

I am psyched about your new house!

I can probably help the 26th/27th weekend, if you want, but I may have my godsister with me.

9:52 PM  
Blogger susan said...

It just makes me happy that we are moving at the same time, which is so insane, as we are thousands of miles apart. But somehow, your moving posts make me feel calm in the face of the mess that is my basement.

And I am in awe of anyone who willingly pitches her own school stuff.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

"Not to complain, but...yes, well, to complain:"

This is beautiful. If I'd been drinking anything at the time, I would have had a keyboard full of it.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home