Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Requiem for Something the Size of a Quarter

I regret to announce that after first going through the washer and dryer, and then cruelly raising my hopes two or three times in the past week by acting like it was working, my iPod Shuffle is now definitively dead.

I would just order another one exactly like it, except that I can't: it's a 2nd Generation one and they don't make them any more. I don't want a Nano because it's too big and doesn't have a clip, and I don't want a new Shuffle because all the controls are on the headphones, to which I object both philosophically and logistically. I can buy a refurbished one (for almost as much as the new one cost me a year and a half ago) but not in purple.

So farewell, little purple Shuffle: You held all my podcasts, and you never complained about being hooked up to a sub-standard 1.0 USB post to be recharged and reloaded. You fit snugly in my pocket (which turned out to be a liability, come to think of it). Thanks to you, I was able to stay connected with my old radio friends Ira Glass and Peter Sagal, and to make new ones, like Eleanor Wachtel and Terry O'Reilly. You helped me get to sleep on many a night, and you kept me company while doing household chores and on otherwise-boring bus trips. There may be other iPods in my life, but you were my first, and I will always remember you fondly.

(And not to be disrespectful to the dead or anything, but the big question now is: Pink or green? (Green, I think; less chance of the Mermaid Girl coveting it.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Beth (Arwen's Mom) said...

I have an old style IPod Shuffle which I bought when I lost my Nano. Then I found my Nano. I never use the shuffle. It's your's if you want it. I see you've ordered an IPod, but if it's the old style Shuffle you want... it's not purple though, it's green.

5:51 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Oh, Beth, you are very kind! It's actually a new-- well, reconditioned--scond-gen Shuffle that we ordered, and that is reportedly on its way from Hong Kong even as I type. But I thank you for the offer; that's really nice of you.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home