Monday, November 02, 2009

Like rain on your wedding day. Halloween edition.

Guess what came in the mail today?

The Mermaid Girl's Halloween costume!

The one I ordered from eBay because unlike our local stores , but they had a flapper dress in the right size *and* the right color (this one, but not at the site I just linked to, which why didn't I buy it from them? Because I am apparently dreanged, that's why) but then couldn't pay for because my old PayPal account wouldn't work because now I have a Canadian mailing address, and the eBay vendor kept not answering my frantic e-mails in which I tried to pay with a credit card, and the eBay help chat people were incredibly unhelpful (they were nice! but not helpful), so after a week of this I created an entirely new PayPal account, which somehow required me to create an entirely new e-mail address, and then I ordered the exact same costume again from a different vendor supposedly in plenty of time for MG's Costume Day at school last Friday,

[pause for breath]

and it didn't come and it didn't come and finally on Thursday night the Renaissance Woman took her to the Halloween store in Metrotown which by then was, as you can imagine, a complete zoo and also didn't have any flapper dresses except slutty ones for grownups so they picked out an awesome (and expensive) pirate costume and RW loaned MG her pirate hat and also the plastic sword (which she didn't take to school) and MG declared that pirates must wear black lipstick and black eyeliner and was perfectly happy and actually very sweet about it. ("Don't worry, Mommy. You tried," she said.)

So when I told her what the package was today after school, she opened it up and put it right on and it fits perfectly and just looks overall fabulous. She did a few Charleston moves in it and all the fringes flew around just like they should.

"Maybe I should go around trick-or-treating again today and tell everyone my costume didn't come in time," she said. (She was kidding. Fortunately.)

We agreed that we'll feel much better about it if we think of it as a Purim costume that we ordered EXTRA EARLY. Because we are meticulously organized like that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

In future when you want something in a timely fashion: Security Mail Services in Blaine, WA. Yep, you'll have to drive to Blaine. Bonus - the dollar is pretty close to on par right now. Cheaper gas - so you can fill up over the border while you're there.

Shipping is worlds of cheaper, too.

4:32 PM  
Blogger susan said...

one of my favorite things about November is lots of Booland posts. Who cares that it's getting dark so early? There are stories to be read!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Hooray, you're back! :) Been missing you!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I vote have a Roaring Twenties party on Friday, November 20th.

11:43 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Thanks, Chasmyn! We normally try to avoid driving to Blaine, but it might be worth considering for something like this.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home