Saturday, August 18, 2007

You See What I'm Up Against

Scene: The Booland house. The Renaissance Woman and Mermaid Girl have returned from Vancouver and then from a birthday party. RW is asleep and MG is playing with innumerable plastic Polly Pocket accessories in her nearly-empty room while elswhere putters around with boxes and tape.

Mermaid Girl: I had to go dumpster-diving. I just had to!...I had to go dumpster diving!

elswhere [thinking that, as so often happens, she is overhearing part of a game]: Are you talking to me?

MG: Yes! I had to go dumpster-diving!

elswhere: Um, why?

MG: Because somebody put beads in my garbage, that's why!

elswhere: Oh. Well, yeah, while I was packing up your room I found a few beads on your floor, and in the corners of your shelves, and things, and I knew you already had boxes and boxes of beads, so I figured...

MG: You can use beads if they're on the floor. You can't use beads if they're IN THE GARBAGE.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. She's the best.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

(Although before you get too alarmed by her omniscience, it's possible she looked in the garbage to see if you'd thrown anything out, and that's what she found. If it were me, I'd be making you feel guilty no matter what it was. Old toothbrush. Dust bunnies. Used tissues.)

5:39 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Oh, I'm sure that's what she did. She trusts no one, particularly not us, where culling of her stuff is concerned.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it - she's clever, that one. And being a beader myself, I cannot hrlp but agree. Also having had my own toys culled by my mother as a child, I also must agree with her - she must do it herself, and it will save you thousands of dollars in therapy later in life.

1:19 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

She's got a point.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama said...

I'm sure you already heard, but just in case: Polly Pocket toy recall info:

http://service.mattel.com/us/recall/default.asp?recall_id=52431

xoxo

Oh -- and we had to watch the trash for years to make sure my mom didn't throw out any treasures!

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home