Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A contest! A contest!

Quick post before I pack up leftovers, make lunches, and write my reviews for the librarians' meeting tomorrow:

I've been remiss in publicizing it, but it's not too late for you to enter the fabulouso Blogging for Books contest, hosted by the even more fabulouso Joshilyn Jackson at Faster than Kudzu.

Here's the deal:

1) You write a blog entry on the assigned topic. This month, it's "A fly on the wall." See the contest post for details.

2) You post said entry by midnight your time this Monday, April 10, and post your link in the comments of the contest post.

3) The Special Guest Blogger will choose seven finalists.

4) This month's judge, author E. Lockhart, will choose a first place, second place, and third place winner.

5) The winner gets a new copy of E. Lockhart's new book, coincidentally titled fly on the wall!

I can't say enough great things about this contest, as a writing spur and a community builder. I entered it several times, and it was one of the ways I got myself to write some Real Essays and put my writing out there. The only comment I got on my first entry was from Anna, who became my first blogging friend.

If you've been blogging and want to try something a little more formal, or just want to expose your blog to more readers, this is a great chance to do that by writing an essay and posting it. If you've got an old entry that fits the theme, send it in! If you want to find great new blogs to read, cruise the entries and leave supportive comments--all these people are being really brave.

(Full disclosure: Back when B4B was hosted at The Zero Boss (unlinked to because it has since gone to blog heaven), Joshilyn was the judge one month and she picked my essay! I won! (Though the real credit should go to Frances Hodgson Burnett and the guy on the plane.) Anyway, my prize was a signed copy of her book, gods in Alabama, which I might as well plug while I'm plugging the contest because I hear it's coming out in paperback soon and it is SO GOOD. And I would say that even if I didn't have a free copy. RW will tell you, if you ask her, that I risked carsickness and missed much of the breathtaking scenery of Eastern British Columbia last summer because I kept reading and reading in the car, over hill, over dale, into valley, so riveted was I to this book.)

(So if you're wondering why I'm not entering, that's why: I'm not eligible, cause I won, which was/is a total thrill and ego boost but also I keep thinking it'd be so cool to enter. I mean, A Fly on the Wall? How great a topic is that!? Pretty great, frankly.)

Now, go! Write! Read! Link!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home