Saturday, June 18, 2005

The Ransom of Mermaid Girl

I was full of posting ideas last night but spent my blogging window wrangling with the Aleeska Air online reservation to get us tickets to Los Angeles over the 4th of July Weekend. It took an hour and a half. On the flight down, we have three seats in three different rows; that's all that was left. What if no one wants to change seats, like in that David Sedaris article in the New Yorker last week? Well, I hope whoever's sitting next to Mermaid Girl likes chatting about butts and poop and nursing babies, because that's a big chunk of her conversational repertoire these days. Maybe we should encourage her to talk about extra-disgusting things; her seatmate would gladly agree to move to my lousy center seat, just to get away.

Seriously, someone will change seats, don't you think? I can just see MG sitting all alone, intently coloring at the tray table, politely telling the drinks service flight attendant that she'd like a cup of milk, please. She'd need help with the little bag of pretzels, though. She can't open those things by herself.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Don't worry, someone will change seats, esp. if MG gets seated next to a businessperson, a school teacher on summer vacation - teachers don't "do" children in the summer or my partner!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Shannon Des Roches Rosa said...

The good folks at Aleeska will rearrange you when you arrive at the airport or departure gate. Sometimes you even get upgraded to first class!

3:52 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Oooh, first class! That would be swell. Thanks for the tip, Squid.

And Guusje, your comment made me smile because *I'll* be a school teacher in my first week of summer vacation at that point.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

They'll find you seats together. Truly.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Rosie Bonner said...

I know that it's not that funnier things happen to David Sedaris, it's just that he makes them funny. But still. I'm cranky and I just think something smells unfair in there somewhere. Like why does he get to be funny all the time and some of us limp along all earnest and dopey sometimes not even able to rise above Dad Humor. (Rhymes with bad humor, as you might recall.) (btw, for those of you who are not elswhere, Dad Humor is those puns and dumb remarks that are meant to be funny but really, really aren't with which your goofatrocious dad tortures you when you're 13.)

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well? Did someone change seats? Don't leave us all in suspense, here!

For disgustingness training, I recommend the later books in the Capt. Underpants series... Giant aliens that look like boogers! Yeah!

9:39 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Badger-- don't know yet; we have to wait till we get to the airport. I'll be sure to give you all a full report as soon as I can get to a computer (they have computers in LA, right? Isn't that where dooce got her start?)

Have you ever read "bThe Day my Butt Went Psycho"? It was so gross I could only get halfway through it. Kids love it.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home