Thursday, December 04, 2008

Skip This One if you Hate Lists

Today, I am going to brag. And also to descend into listiness. Because I have been very very productive in the last two days.

Here's what I did yesterday:

--Had the Energy Evaluation people here for two hours while they tested our house
--Went over their report and made my own list of improvements we can do which might earn us a rebate from the govt. and maybe even a bonus if we do enough stuff.
--Worked on That Job for an hour
--Billed my freelance blogging job
--Compiled all our Extended Medical receipts and filled out the reimbursement form. (This was major. It took two hours, and required two different phone calls to various entities.)
--Picked up the Mermaid Girl from school, and while on the playground asked her friend's mom for a childcare favor for next week
--Drove MG to circus
--Bought groceries
--Did dishes
--Arranged for a friend to come over & play with MG for this afternoon
--Made my super-special Deviled Eggs for RW to take to her library's xmas lunch party this afternoon
--Reviewed and signed MG's report card (she's doing very well in everything except time management and speaking up in class. And her attendance record bizarrely lists eight absences for the month of October, which I think may have been a mistaken recording of some of her many late arrivals).

And today!

--Worked on That Job for two hours, and got things moving at long last
--Had a pre-interview interview on the phone with someone who's going to interview me for a job next week
--Worked at my regular job for seven hours
--Photocopied all the Extended Medical receipts before I send them in
--Encouraged RW, who is having her own contract job anxieties

Of course the bad news is that there is still incomprehensibly more to do than can be done in the time we have to do it. But still, it always surprises me when I get into a productivity jag like this, how getting things done makes me want to get more things done and it all makes me unexpectedly happy and cheerful. I think it's like stasis and momentum, where once a thing gets moving it wants to keep moving, and once it stops in front of the computer and sluggishly surfs the Internet that is all it wants to keep doing, forever and ever, unless jolted out of its static state.

6 Comments:

Blogger Big Poppa said...

You might be my favorite blogger. At least for this week. We just had a daughter 12 days ago, so that has helped me read so much of what you write in the light of parenthood. I love your voice. I buy into your writing. Thanks for sharing.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all this, PLUS you're a toilet hero?? be still my heart!

you rock!

4:18 AM  
Blogger S. said...

You are a genius of efficacy and an inspiration to us all.

Seriously, though, you are.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

You rock.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Arwen said...

Maaaaaan. I would like a little of your getting things done ovah heah! Was there a JOLT that you figured out?

9:34 PM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Arwen, I think it was partly having the house to myself for most of the day Tuesday. Though some other days when I've had that, I've just frittered it away and then been mad at myself. So maybe a combination of that with a critical amount of contract-job anxiety? Not sure. When I find the magic formula, I'll be sure to let you know. And also to write it down for myself!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home