Saturday, November 01, 2008

Because I Am a Sheep

Arwen and Liz and maybe other people too? are doing NaPoBloMo (is that the right name? I don't even have time to look it up) so I am going to try it, for the first time ever even though this is my fifth November of Blog. I never had the nerve before. But the cold and dark and rain and omigod the LEAVES falling desolately off the trees are driving me through it. It might be mostly little 5-minute jobbies like this one, but what the heck. Let's see how long I last.

For my inaugural NaNo post, I will risk jinxing the future of the whole world and explain why I think Barack Obama will win the election on Tuesday: it's because I left the country.

"Yeah, cause it's all about YOU," RW said when I laid out this theory for her, late last night, after our ritual viewing of one 30 Rock episode on DVD.

"No, really," I said. "You can pretty much guarantee it. Anything I do immediately becomes unfashionable. I'm, like, the anti-trendsetter. Like, back in 2000, when I opened an online account and got ready to buy stocks through the Internet? The market crashed. And then last year, when I decided I really had to have Crocs? Crocs stopped being cool and you couldn't find them anywhere. When I want to see a movie, that's when it stops running."

"Oh, right," said RW, waking up a little. "And right after you bought a house this spring, that's when the housing market dropped like crazy."

"Right!"

"And then you sold a house in Seattle, right after everyone was trying to do it so no one was paying market price, and then you moved the money to Canada right before the loonie fell against the dollar..."

"No," I said, "That was you."

"Oh. Right. Me."

"But anyway, basically, I finally got fed up with the United States and left, so of COURSE now things are going to turn around."

"Hmm. We'll see."

"The only thing I started doing right when it was cool," I mused on as RW fell asleep, "Was blogging. I started in the middle of 2004, right at the crest of the wave. But that's because it was like this perfect storm of things I couldn't resist."

"Mmm."

"And lesbianism."

"Mmyyyyrrm."

"Lesbianism's always fashionable."

Will Obama win and prove me a fashion loser once again? Will lesbianism become uncool? Will I actually make it through November with a post every day? and if so, will everyone else in the world have stopped reading or writing blogs by the time I do??

Watch this space to find out!

6 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

A dose of elswhere everyday??? Suddenly I'm actually looking forward to the month of November!

10:51 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Aww, Phantom, you say the nicest things. If you'll keep commenting, I'll definitely keep posting!

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally in suspense!!

8:50 PM  
Blogger susan said...

What Phantom said!

And I already know that one of the things to be grateful for this season is that you started my November with a laugh, you anti-trend-setter, you.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

I'm doing NaBloPoMo too. I did it successfully last year. We'll see how it goes this time.

Good luck.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray!

I hope for all our sakes that you're right & Obama wins - but given he's on the cover of the Georgia Straight and Tate claps and says "Look! It's Bawk O'Baama!" I think it's safe to say that even in Canada, you're not apart from American politics.

However my neighbour, the very political American, did NOT vote this year for anyone because "No matter who I vote for they lose. Always."

So you're not the only one.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home