Sunday, April 03, 2005

Food, sex, death, family, and money. And a hacking cough.

Topics I've been inspired to write about in the last week, from the profound to the worse than trivial, but didn't get to the laptop in time or was too sleepy, and now can't remember exactly what I wanted to say:

1. The student whose father died of cancer a week ago Thursday, and how that's affected just about everyone at work: kids, parents, staff. Her courage in coming back to school the next Monday, and her classmates and teachers, who let her just be a kid, play and goof off and come to the book fair last week, and the staff members who then came back to the book fair and asked for a copy of her wish list and bought her everything on it.

2. The book fair itself, and the trials and tribulations thereof. (Note to self: need more volunteers for takedown next year, but it's next to impossible to find anyone to come in on Friday afternoon. Maybe I could pay people in books.)

3. How I looked at my next year's contract and realized shockingly that I will be making a reasonable amount, or reasonable by my lights. How I have so much less than so many families where I work, but so much more than Mermaid Girl's preschool teachers, and how I remember being a preschool teacher in my 20's and thinking the parents--in retrospect, middle-aged people who were mostly like I am now--were immeasurably, unconscionably rich. What was the significance of all this? I forget, but had a lot of ideas last Friday, some possibly unbloggable.

4. The hula performance MG and I went to last night. The chaos of the buffet, and then the wonderful dancing, MG rapturous whenever her cousins were onstage, but not wanting to join in herself even when invited. Her emerging anxious perfectionist streak. And then dessert after at the cousins' house, girls rampaging everywhere and MG hunkered down with the Polly Pockets. RW and her grandmother, who is visiting, met us there after a quiet dinner on their own. RW's grandmother, a powerhouse activist and climber who was in the Danish Resistance, met the cousins' grandmother, powerhouse doctor and academic who escaped from Austria during WWII. They totally hit it off. And the cousins' mom with wine talking so great in the kitchen about how another hula mom had said she liked hula more than ballet because ballet was too sexual, and all of us cracking up because hula is obviously so sexual.

5. Buffets in general, and how I hate waiting in line for food, it makes me totally nuts. And cranky.

6. A question: is it possible to have viral and bacterial bronchitis at the same time? And if so, could one type hang on even after two weeks of trying-to-sleep-more-and-beat-this-thing followed by ten days of antibiotics?

Yeah. It's been a week.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lioness said...

Well, viral infection opens the dorr for a bacterial one. Also, if you've been on antibiotics that long, a) maybe it's the wrong antibiotic in which case an antibiogram might be in order to find out which one would be effective against your particular strain b)coul still be the virus giving you grief c) am no Dr so will shut up now.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Ha! Of course hula is about sex! Good lord! Far more than stodgy ballet with its artificial poses and etc. But then again when I was in Hawaii it seemed to me that there was very little difference between having sex while there and not having sex. The whole island just sort of oozed sex anyway, so why bother? ANd not that you can have sex at all when you're with a five-year-old and an eight-year-old, 24/7. But if I could have had sex, I know I would have felt that way about it. For sure.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

here's another note that has nothing to do with your post: Have you read Ember by DuPrau, I think her name is? It's a middle school book I'm reading to my kids and really enjoying . . .

5:16 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

yes! great book! there's a sequel, too, "The People of Sparks." Different but in some ways even better.

Oh, man, I have to post something, it's been ages. Soon.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally unrelated, but you want to have a singalong of Sensitive New Age Guys?

Slim

9:17 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Slim--totally! I saw your comment on Chez Miscarriage, 2 minutes before mine. Jinx!

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home