Thursday, December 16, 2004

It's too much work to come up with a title for this

I got to talk with a real live friend on the phone tonight! She lives just a couple of miles away, but I haven't seen her for almost a year. That's how little I get out. Sad, sad, sad.

I was telling her about how focused and goal-oriented Mermaid Girl can be, like how she practiced swinging on the monkey bars at her preschool until she could get all the way across (it took weeks, she got blisters on her hands but was completely matter-of-fact about it and just kept going until she could do it), and how totally not-that-way I am, but how that's probably good for the Girl, since a driven kid with driven parents can be a really scary combination.

Friend: Or a not-driven kid with driven parents. That's not so hot either.

Me: Yeah, us slacker parents, we're a pretty great deal all around.

Friend: Yeah. Yay, us! We don't finish what we start, but we're good for our kids!

Me: Yay, slacker parents! Gimme an S, gimme a...oh, whatever. You know what I mean.

Friend: *chortle*

Me: *snort*

Well, we amuse ourselves, anyway.

7 Comments:

Blogger Udge said...

I found it funny, too.

Not that I'm a parenting expert, but I think from observation that most kids have a "get obsessed about things" gland that will make them amuse themselves if left alone to do so. I read (but didn't bookmark) a blog where a mom was talking about her son's current favourite toy being a good stout stick that he found somewhere. The world is full of entertainment at that age.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminded me somehow of the Embarassed Club--remember, where there were never any meetings because the members were too embarassed to meet? And greeted one anothery by apologizing? Wait, was that the name? Or was it something much much wittier? OK, I've just officially entered the cah't-think-sleep-deprived-by-baby demographic (and am in total denial about it). And at the exact same moment, the should-be-resting-while-partner-watches-baby-but-instead-am-engaging-in-text-oriented-activities group. Huh???

--Angela

4:42 PM  
Blogger Spanglemonkey said...

Hee! snort. that's funny.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading this again the next morning and it's still too damn clever. Els, your postings are just exquisite. You are the wittiest person I know.

The baby is asleep.

--Angela

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't suppose she's quit breathing, do you? Perhaps I'd better check.


--Angela

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, still breathing.

--Angela

8:50 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Congratulations, Angela! Just remember to sleep...

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home