Monday, December 13, 2004

Bad Moms, Unite!

Why is it that few hours ago, at Mermaid Girl's bedtime, I was ready to pass out on the floor, but now that it is 11:30 I am awake! awake! awake!

Why is it that two of the three new blogs* I've just added to my blogroll are called, respectively, Bad Mama and Bad Mother? Does this say something about my own parenting? You think?

Here's our Bad Parenting Story of the Week:

Yesterday RW picked Mermaid Girl up from Hebrew School, and she fell asleep in the car. Perfect! Because we were getting ready for our Big Holiday Party and had no time for little niceties like taking care of our child. The Girl has been napping in the car since she was a wee thing. When she was tiny we used to actually run the baby monitor out to the car with an extension cord; now we just peek out the front window at her every minute or two. We live on a safe and fairly quiet street, and if we even crack the car window we can hear her yell when she wakes up.

Well. Usually.

So RW was checking on her between running back and forth through the house picking up the chaotic mess, and suddenly there's this pathetic knock, knock, knock at the front door, accompanied by even more pathetic wailing coming from the other side. She opens it and there is Mermaid Girl on the front porch, sobbing as if she's been left for the wild animals to eat, and across the street is a woman STARING at her with a very perturbed look on her face. As if she is right on the verge of calling CPS on whoever would leave their own child alone outside in the cold. To cry. I think she suspected that we weren't going to let the poor waif back in until she sold all her matches.

Mermaid Girl had woken up, unsnapped the seatbelt to her newly-acquired booster seat, opened the car door, and gone up to the porch, where her Atavistic Fear of Being Abandoned Outside (previously activated only when she's stalling and whining on the way from the car to the house and I say something horribly mean like "fine, you can stay out here and have a meltdown, I'm going inside where it's warm, I'll leave the door cracked open for you") kicked in with a vengeance.

She was okay after some hugs and reassurances. And gelt. And CPS hasn't come yet, for what it's worth.

I don't know why she's so scared of being abandoned. It's not like we ever...uh...leave her alone in the car, or anything.

*The third blogroll addition is a new kids' book review blog called Book Buds, which I found through the Best of Blogs (BoB) Awards Nominations. As usual I am late to the party here, but it's not too late for you all to join in, if you haven't already; BoB nominations are open through 12/24. This award is shaping up to be a truly cool blogging community builder, and I'm not just saying that because I--along with about fifty other GLBT bloggers, including some of my favorites--am nominated for one of them. (Thanks, you two; you know who you are ;-) And there are lots of other categories, too: know any good knitting blogs? Or sex blogs? Or, hmm, mom blogs? Go, nominate!

4 Comments:

Blogger LilySea said...

Cole chastizes you for making me burst out laughing very loudly and startling her in the middle of an important phone call.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I've been make such an effort and wanting so much for Cole to chastise me too....

That's not my point, however. Thank you for recommending Book Buds. What a sweet little web site. And congrats on your nomination!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

i, too, laughed out loud. tears were streaming down. here at my desk. at work. bravo!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

All three of my guys went through Don't Leave Me Mommy stages -- I mean they'd flip when I'd walk from one room to the next. The stage would come and go and the DLMM stage was usually followed by a Who Are You and Why Are You Bugging Me stage. . . but now they've all outgrown the first one. Not the second by any means. This is the first time in a couple of years I think I sort of miss the first one.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home