Thursday, May 15, 2008

Recent Developments, Part Whatever: Freakout with a Side of Lede-Burying

No decision on houses, but our landlady told us how much she wants for the one we're in and it's...well, it's a lot. It's a lot more than we thought it would be. I'm sure it's what the house is worth in this market, but I don't think it's what we're willing or able to pay, especially with the trouble & responsibility of maintaining a place like this.

We haven't decided for sure, though. And in the meantime, we looked tonight at a house that a friend of a friend is about to put on the market. It's very nice and well maintained, and right near the school, and we like the sellers a lot, and trust them. It has a good feel, this house. But even though it's actually bigger than where we live now, I'm not convinced that the layout is right for us (big living room, smaller bedrooms, and I need a place to put my desk for the home-based work I do. Right now it's in the corner of the master bedroom, which works fine; I don't know if any of us would be happy the mess of it sitting in the living room.) We're going to go back with a measuring tape.

Or we could just sit tight & see if we can go on renting here.

And then there's the question of selling the Seattle house: if we want to buy anytime soon, we have to get started on that now now now, which means telling the tenants & fixing it up and lots and lots of time & negotiations.

Oh, and we need a car, as in a week we'll be losing the loaner that we've had since September. What to do?? Buy a new car? A slightly used car? An old beater for cheap so as not to rack up more debt?? And all of it takes time, time, time we don't have: to research, to test-drive, to finance, and in the meantime I'll have to take taxis or rent a car, and even setting up a rental car takes time, and did I mention? I have a new, permanent, benefitted job starting at the end of the month, at the same library where I had my old temporary job, so it's a good thing, a good thing, a good good good thing, though I need a car to get to it, and clothes to wear to it, and I don't have time to do laundry let alone shop.

So the laundry is piling up and I have no clean socks and contract work that's not getting done, we're staying up late crunching numbers and debating options; we're not sleeping enough, we have no food in the house, our stomachs hurt, we're tense and anxious and MG's childcare provider is on vacation until early June so whenever we're both working after 3:00 we have to hit up our new friends for playdates, we are racking up playdate debt left and right.

I have to remind myself that we're incredibly fortunate to be in the situation we're in, to have the options we have, to have enough work to support us--and I have a job! a permanent job! Did I mention? A job!--even though that work comes with crazy weird evening and weekend hours, to have a school that MG loves, to even be in a position to think about buying something.

I do know all that, but it's hard to remember through the buzzing in my head that comes from forgetting to breathe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

OMG! Ponies! on the new job! Mazel tov!

And sympathy on the buzzing in your head. It will all work out, but, oy, making choices is teh stressful, ain't it?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

WOOT! Job!!! Wootwootwoot!!!

Hugs and kisses on teh stressful decisions, even though it's a good stress, stress is still stress.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so right there with you!

The part about no food, I am dealing with by internet grocery delivery! In huge bulk every few weeks so that the delivery charge hits me less often.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home